Electronic/electric actuated handbraked rear calipers.

johnny.race

Does anyone know about these? Do they need an ECU plugged into them to work or can they be made to work with 12v power in/out/switch sorta setup? Anyone fucked around with them? @cletusmate, is this sorta stuff (OEM setup that's been adapted to a live axle) show itself much in what comes through your work?  

Lvvt manual/book says they need to be operated through a load-sensing device such as a current draw

sensor;

I interpret that as a yes it needs a ecu/controller. 

Wilwood do a whole kit, calipers and controller etc I wonder if the controller can be had separately 

https://www.wilwood.com/brakekits/BrakeKitsProdRear?itemno=140-16849-RD

I'm working on something that has had come calipers retrofitted, will be talking to the guy that made the setup next week so I'll update in here 

• Thanks 1

There's not a lot in the LVVTA standard on them, and I've only done 2 cars that have them retrofitted that I can remember so I'm not knowledgeable on how to set them up. One guy brewed his own setup but he's a bit of an electronics whiz so came up with his own load switch arrangement

the other one I haven't finished yet but that was a unit designed for the job so I think it has the load sensor built in 

Screenshot_20220408-171610_Drive.jpg

• Thanks 2

FYI. Part d is a ball-ache if you get a flat battery.

My wife's toyota got a flat battery in the drive way, boxing in all the other vehicles.

Me: "No worries, I'll just push it out of the way cos we are in a hurry to go out in the Jeep"

Toyota: "No you fucking won't" :twisted:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Attraction? Scarcity. The increasing scarcity of (suitable) calipers that feature an integral handbrake within their design. Most (late) rear calipers are the type that work with drum in hat/banksia handbrake setup. The ultimate end use for all of this is disc brake conversion(s) on a live axle. In this case, the live axle is the G series Hilux. Adapting a banksia setup is difficult due to a number of reasons - brake offset not withstanding. Over the years I've designed/sold a couple of bolt on disc brake setups (integral handbrake type) on narrowed diffs I build. They've proved to be quite popular but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep my stocks of calipers up. Some types I can't find at all. Thus the reason I'm asking about these type of calipers. I'm doing r&d. 

Edited by johnny.race
cause ...
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, mjrstar said:

There will be a flap in the carpet or whatever sort of access hatch for the manual release of the e-brake. 

But yeah giz lever and ratch mechanism or done electrical thing for sure. 

0448A34F-680C-4338-9F3F-A089F79CDD87.thumb.png.624849ca9c57f802b23eb798b2d843c4.png
1AF108AD-2786-43E0-BA3F-D22DF89BBCCB.thumb.png.487777c0e164e4f7d7f592287a7faa8e.png

600 revolutions!!! Bahahahaha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, johnny.race said:

Attraction? Scarcity. The increasing scarcity of (suitable) calipers that feature an integral handbrake within their design. Most (late) rear calipers are the type that work with drum in hat/banksia handbrake setup. The ultimate end use for all of this is disc brake conversion(s) on a live axle. In this case, the live axle is the G series Hilux. Adapting a banksia setup is difficult due to a number of reasons - brake offset not withstanding. Over the years I've designed/sold a couple of bolt on disc brake setups (integral handbrake type) on narrowed diffs I build. They've proved to be quite popular but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep my stocks of calipers up. Some types I can't find at all. Thus the reason I'm asking about these type of calipers. I'm doing r&d. 

Vw golf ? They have a cable handbrake. Might be a bit small for what you need

Otherwise you might be able to find something common on rockauto that's easily available new? 

Screenshot_20220411-223256_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-223443_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cletus said:

Vw golf ? They have a cable handbrake. Might be a bit small for what you need

Otherwise you might be able to find something common on rockauto that's easily available new? 

Funny you say this Clint. I've just finished doing r&d on the feasibility of making mk5 Golf ones work. I've found a yard down here full of them. They are a bit small but not appreciably smaller than sp20/U13 and a couple of other small type ones I fit.  One of the constraints I have is rim diameter. All of my combo's are designed to fit 15" rims. Those mk5's (as small as they are) won't allow this on a Hilux using commonly available OEM based rotors. So yeah. 

You've mentioned to me previously about bringing calipers in from rockauto. I've resisted using new but It's looking more and more likely I will have to start sourcing new. Gawd, we are living through those times aye? Over the last decade I have seen this shit dry up before my very eyes :( 

Been fucking around with rx8 calipers too - reasonably common but try and find a rotor that will work with them in the confines of a 15" steelie ... then let me know, lol! Cheers.

• Like 2

2013 mazda atenza, solid disc, roughly 270mm dia , measuring from hub center to biggest part of caliper (for wheel clearance) 165mm

On a 19" wheel it has about 65mm clearance from the rim to the caliper 

Axela might be similar? 

20220413_100454.jpg

• Thanks 1

1497051928_20220413_175556(Large).thumb.jpg.db5f5f671508213a4a82b417678753b4.jpg

This is a s4/s5 caliper on a Hilux diff using the 273mm OEM style rotor. It fits a 15" rim with a bit of room to spare.

1267851565_20220413_181151(Large).thumb.jpg.aa83bb4ccdc32439f0c93197c59d2ba1.jpg

This a an rx8 caliper mocked up on the s4/s5 OEM style rotor. As can be seen it won't work due to the shape of the bracket. I have not tried an OEM rx8 rotor as it's large diameter precludes use with a 15" diameter rim in any case. The caliper fits an  OEM style s6 rotor but the combo will not work with a 15" rim either. I've been spending a bit of time in several disc brake rotor data bases looking for options. The s6 rotor might be able to made to work with the rx8 caliper with some diameter reduction but I'd like to avoid having to trim anything unless absolutely necessary. The s6 rotor is OEM 294mm in diameter. I'm guessing something around 285mm dia might work. Fun and games. 

1550151856_20220407_105715(Large).thumb.jpg.f57c3248d49c0bb7cc69fbc6ec174b9b.jpg

I put you wrong re all of the brake adaptions I sell working with 15" rims. The brackets I sell will allow the smaller types of calipers I cater for (sp20, zre152, u13) to work with 14" rims. That's current but I might have to revise this going forward with any new design packages that will allow use of later (TBA) calipers and stick to 15" rims. The pic above shows the s13 rotor (258mm dia) I typically use for most of the smaller fitments. Sitting on it is a VW golf mk5 caliper. Clearly not going to work for two reasons - rotors too small in diameter and mounting points fouling housing. They are quite deep/tall there aye? There might be a balance with a rotor in the mid 270's - 280's and it still being able to fit with a 15" rim. I might check things out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alfashark said:

288mm is a common VW disc size if that gives you a place to start mixing and matching from.

Do you know what is the common dia of rim usually used on VW's? I've never had anything to do with near most all 4cyl sedans/hatches - fucking cars bro. I lived under a rock and had pickups and the older stuff all my life.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johnny.race said:

Do you know what is the common dia of rim usually used on VW's? I've never had anything to do with near most all 4cyl sedans/hatches - fucking cars bro. I lived under a rock and had pickups and the older stuff all my life.

15" will fit, assuming you use the VW calipers - Going up to the 312mm discs will require 16".

• Like 1

Did some more r&d on the mk5 to Hilux option. I actually can't see this working with a 15" rim on/in a live axle application.

558452862_20220414_162128(Medium).jpg.0981e744ae5b98f07cb0d9134f1e5790.jpg

The live axle's design prevents placement of the caliper in a position like that would be found on the bum of a FWD vehicle.

1394961487_20220414_162314(Medium).jpg.a161f9cbf3f3d7c9fc3797154d5e14da.jpg

1270859972_20220414_162107(Medium).jpg.63f70e6b184d0e9d1965170ec1892a67.jpg

This prevents the caliper from working within the confines of a 15" rim. A larger diameter rim could be made to work depending on if a workable rotor could be identified. 

See that cutaway rim in the pic's I use to check clearance? Clever aye? It was cut down on my rim widener I made out of scrap a few years back. Niice clean job! I know you cunts like this sorta stuff! Chur.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to think of is how much clearance to the chassis or body there is in that position 

Have seen quite a few where the caliper would foul on the body with suspension travel

And one recently where the caliper was mounted really close to the coilover brackets. Which was OK with new brake pads, but with a bit of wear the body of the caliper would have hit the bracket 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1