Pattys 54’ Ford Prefect

patty06

Just starting a discussion thread which I will be chucking into the first reply on my build thread.

I’m having trouble deciding on which avenue to take on this one and would appreciate any sort of wisdom or advice.

Option one, is running gear from a 94’ Suzuki Escudo. V6 manual gear box and diff etc.

Option two, is low and slow. Keep everything factory apart from some adaptors to change the stud pattern to 5 x 114.3 pcd so I can run some widened Steelies that are stronger.

You could hop the side valve up a little. You can put the head off the smaller cc engine on to up the compression, or have yours skimmed about 2mm.

Can get all the aquaplane tuning gear still, it's made new, I have a twin carb set up here for one, couple that with some extractors and it will liven up. Or a China AMR500 super charger

But you will still have less power than a brigs powered ride on, and tuning sidevalves is the most expensive $:hp there is. For the price of a tuned sidevalve you could buy a Japanese engine conversion and cert and a tank of gas and have a reliable 100hp without opening it up. 

I'd probably do something gross like a 1960s English pushrod engine with a SU on it tho 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pretty much on everything that had a side draught , they are the best :thumbleft:

Check the throttle spindles for wear or you will forever be chasing a random lean condition as air seeps in, otherwise just the old Cork type seals on the choke leak

Burlen in the UK sells all the parts for them, and have a lot of info on original set ups and different needles. Costs a bit tho

• Like 2