Big Al's Teenage Dream 300zx

AALAWS

Nice, i toyed with getting one to match my z31 before prices jumped but procrastinated too long - hope you got it at a price you liked!

Heaps of inspo out there as you will have seen, they are pretty popular in japan and states - easy to do some subtle/reversible things to make them look slick

Wheels i always wanted to do on one were big dish 5 spokes like koenigs, these are 18's but i reckon they look good on 17xwide 

dqliuHY9fSa2LdT9yT5FmqzIiE6DWZjcU9YEO7mO

Actually fitment on this looks a bit better

image-by-item-and-alias?item=Post3146&di

• Like 8

Certainly didn't have to pay $40K plus...phew!!

I was looking at 18's but the wheels I liked are ex US and super $$ with shipping etc.
Will definitely be looking for some dish, maybe even 17's just to keep the comfort.
I'll need to start another build thread for my driveway if I lower it - The meeting of the camber of the road and the driveway slope is a killer - I currently have to use my neighbours driveway and drive into mine off the berm ha ha

1927461419_ScreenShot2022-03-25at2_14_22PM.png.bc41c8d27e68fc4aca719f14ee907249.png

• Like 2

I had mine reflashed by a guy on a 300zx forum back in the day it instantly made 11psi and did 9l/100k after doing an exhaust 

Was an absolute joy to own I bought it with a broken trans and nothing else went wrong with it at all after I fixed that.

• Like 2

Thanks for the interest boys

On 03/04/2022 at 08:48, yoeddynz said:

Fuck I love these cars. I've always thought they look far classier than the Toyota supras, mitsi gtslows.  

^This^

On 02/04/2022 at 16:40, NVMPAJ said:

I read the other day  Lamborgini used the lights for the Diablo 

You can buy the 'Nissan' ones for $300 odd and the 'Lambo' ones go for $1500 plus - great little side hustle if you could tap into the massive Diablo market :)
They had to remodel the Diablo as the pop ups wouldn't meet changing safety rules in the US at the time so these were the best off the shelf option available.

6 hours ago, sentra said:

was this in clarks beach last weekend? cool/unusual sight and drove past very slowly on the open road.

Nah, I saw a pretty similar one driving north through town here the other day. I was driving to the workshop to see how the work on mine was going, and for a sec I thought someone had pinched it already ha ha

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, xsspeed said:

Theres no vct on these right?

not sure......

1 hour ago, fletch said:

they have it on both inlet cams, see the bulge in the timing belt cover.

and answered ha ha......could it be a timing thing?

7 hours ago, Valiant said:

Can you block off the iac circuit and see if the idle drops?

Have the throttle cables got plenty of slack?

788745684_ScreenShot2022-10-02at11_58_54AM.png.51fae48de29e27316fabd21c95ced578.png

This is how it sits at the back of the engine - I'm assuming air flow is from right to left so would you remove the hose between the air regulator and the IAA unit or bypass the everything from before the air regulator?

The throttle cables across the plenum seem pretty good - the throttles were closing up nicely when disengaged if that's what you mean?

4 hours ago, fletch said:

they have it on both inlet cams, see the bulge in the timing belt cover.

Chur, had z31 vg30s in mind

I've had grit/crap/whatever get stuck in vvti actuators before which messed with timing and idle revs as was getting stuck, could be worth whipping them out for a flush/clean

Symptoms were high/slightly tough idle like unmetered air was getting by. I fucked around with IACs for so long before seeing it was a timing/vvti issue

This was in an auto and would require heavy breaking at rest to resist rolling fwd as it was loading the torque converter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xsspeed said:

This was in an auto and would require heavy breaking at rest to resist rolling fwd as it was loading the torque converter

I get a bit of this with the high idle when cruising through town and it feels like it drives a bit by itself...