Elle L's 1975 Bedford KDLC3

Elle L

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The catch up continues . . . . . . . . 

The next 'major' task I was keen to get stuck into was my wooden framing to fill in the blanks between my steel frame-work.  This of course required final decisions on my windows and doors and making the frames for them all so the holes were the right size!  So timber research it was as I needed an odd size because my wall cavity is only 40mm.  I looked at lots of different options, various sizes to cut down, prices from different places etc then when I went into Knowles Timber to ask for more window framing I mentioned it to them and they reckoned they could find something to do the trick :) 

There was of course a wait on the timber so I busied myself with other smaller tasks, sanding off 'spewed' out glue on the beams, looking at colours, prepping windows etc.  Then I got the call that my window frame timber was ready.  Man a car full of freshly cut macroparpa smells totally amazing :grin:

Very luckily for me my parents had recently moved to the area and dad is very generous with his time and his workshop!  And his tools, the next to be introduced to being his compound saw.  I love this saw, its friendly to use and makes it way easier and more accurate than using a hand saw for window frame making that's for sure.  Not to mention learning some tips to make sure the frames are square.  Many an hour was spent in the workshop working away on these frames for nine little windows and two doors! 

All of my windows and doors were second hand collections form tip shops,  marketplace and trademe.  Even the door frame timber.  One of my doors is quite narrow (660mm) and I acquired a free door frame with a beautiful thick rimu sill what has been repurposed to make the sills for both my doors.  They all have story of how they came to be collected and put into my house :)

Doesn't make for particularly interesting photos, but here are a few anyway.

20220611_165349.jpg

window 1.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...