Vege oil / Deez mix

felixx

So I have access to 40L a week of used canola oil (deep frier) for free

From what I have read, filter it to 5 microns then warming it to allow water to evap  creates a passable partial substitute for deez

I was thinking of taking it a step further and decanting it and letting it settle further allowing any remaining solids to sink to the bottom 

Maybe if I was to run at 70% deez, 30% chip oil I could save some $$

I have a 1kz toyota surf

What do you folks think of this? 

10 hours ago, Valiant said:

@brocky41, this is up your alley isn't it mate?

OK so I was all into this a few years back but with used ATF - I 50/50'd it in my D21 Navara for around 2 years straight out of customers ATF flush machines. Yes I probably should have filtered it - but didnt.

The ute is a 93 TD27 non turb ski, had 160km on the clock and I noticed no difference in power, ease of starting, fuel consumption etc - it was happy days until the fuel pump started leaking. $900 rebuild later and i was like well was it worth it? The fuel pump builder was like "WTF is this guy running this thing on, its all oily as shit in here" but as expected when I asked him, the pump was just original and worn out (shaft etc). So probably wasnt the ATF. Ran it in the Turbo Diesel Terrano (mechanical pump) for a while too - the pump already had a small leak and it didn't get any worse. Had that pump rebuilt about a year later.

I haven't done it since as diesel was at an ok price - Ive got a 44G drum full that's been sealed and sitting for 4 years so I'm thinking if I pump from the middle all the shit will either be at the top or bottom. Would definitely filter it this time. Filtering mechanically with say a hydro pump and filter id say you would want a non bypass filter to make sure you're getting everything, using a micron the same or smaller than your fuel filter would be the go, i've seen filter material you can put over a 205L drum like a sock. Chip oil would be the same, you don't want them chip bits lol.

Ive just remembered the Inter tractor is diesel so might use it in that and report back.

Also a warning - only for the old diesels - alot of vids etc out there with newer stuff really not liking it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shrike said:

What feeling system does the 1kz use? My understanding was that newer Diseals couldn't use chip oil.

Denso VE style pump, just with electric shit controlling the throttle and shit.

They went common rail with the 1KD

• Like 2

this guy has some good tools for waste veg oil pumping and filtering. (and some pretty awesome furnace things he builds and runs on it)
runs his car on it also, but not sure how.

i know of one person  using a blend of veg oil with dsl in summer of 90% veg, and winter 50/50 mix in a mazda/trader truck (can't remember the engine)  

i bought a book years ago and never got around to running what it suggests, which is a dual fuel set up of straight waste oil(starting on dsl), need to heat the oil in this case to about 70deg, this guy used a heating wire wrapped around the injector lines near the head for "cold starts) and a plate heater near the filter etc if i come across any of it i'll share it. considering looking into it again one way or another. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

There is a bit of info about on forums I have googled. I will look into 5 micron filters. 

I only plan to process 20 -40 litres at a time. I figure if i keep the oil ratio below 30% it will be ok all year round.

I read a story about a guy in the uk who had a trade discount and was buying 20l drums of vege oil and dumping it into his truck at tesco in the carpark.

People thought he was mad but he was getting it for 40p a litre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i watched some of these waste engine oil(black diesel) a few years back also, the guy i bought My toyota surf(wish i kept it) from used to do his oil change and the old oil would go straight into the fuel tank 4 litres x $1.00 litre back then = $4 saved in fuel..(in his eyes) and no need to get rid of the waste. it did smoke though, and stank of oil burning.

i put 300ml of old oil in My diesel gemini fuel tank at half full level as a test once and it was smelly and smokey, so i topped it up full with diesel and didn't do that again. 

i reckon these black diesel users must have a trail of stink behind them and probably smoke. but there's probably a ratio that's minimal. (not sure on the ratio and if it's less an issue when the engine is warm.. )

I recall seeing something a few years ago where a guy pulled apart the fuel/injection system on an old mercedes diesel after it had been run on biodiesel for a few years. Everything was completely buggered from corrosion internally

I've been filtering small quantities (~2l) of deep fry oil through commercial coffee filters and throwing it in my Chinese diesel heater.

Seemed wasteful deep frying stuff but now that diesel is almost as much as sunflower oil it makes perfect sense.

• Like 4

When I lived in Vanuatu one of the ex-pat lifers who ran a workshop ran his LD28 powered Range Rover classic on straight coconut oil. It would only start if the fuel temp was mid 20’s temperature or warmer, which was most of the time. Once running it was good to go as it had a fuel heat exchanger set up. Exhaust smelled yum. There was a fleet of government Isuzu utes running the stuff too.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, brocky41 said:

OK so I was all into this a few years back but with used ATF - I 50/50'd it in my D21 Navara for around 2 years straight out of customers ATF flush machines. Yes I probably should have filtered it - but didnt.

The ute is a 93 TD27 non turb ski, had 160km on the clock and I noticed no difference in power, ease of starting, fuel consumption etc - it was happy days until the fuel pump started leaking. $900 rebuild later and i was like well was it worth it? The fuel pump builder was like "WTF is this guy running this thing on, its all oily as shit in here" but as expected when I asked him, the pump was just original and worn out (shaft etc). So probably wasnt the ATF. Ran it in the Turbo Diesel Terrano (mechanical pump) for a while too - the pump already had a small leak and it didn't get any worse. Had that pump rebuilt about a year later.

I haven't done it since as diesel was at an ok price - Ive got a 44G drum full that's been sealed and sitting for 4 years so I'm thinking if I pump from the middle all the shit will either be at the top or bottom. Would definitely filter it this time. Filtering mechanically with say a hydro pump and filter id say you would want a non bypass filter to make sure you're getting everything, using a micron the same or smaller than your fuel filter would be the go, i've seen filter material you can put over a 205L drum like a sock. Chip oil would be the same, you don't want them chip bits lol.

Ive just remembered the Inter tractor is diesel so might use it in that and report back.

Also a warning - only for the old diesels - alot of vids etc out there with newer stuff really not liking it.

So, question for the chemists out there. Brake fluid eats buna seals, hence why everything in a modern brake system is viton (correct me if I'm wrong here, I just know I needed a seal for bikes clutch and finding a viton one was impossible).

Isn't ATF similar? Id have thought it would have eaten every normal o ring and seal in the diesel system 

Nah you can run standard nitrile seals in both, ATF is good because it doesn't eat everything, use it to lube up dynamic orings all the time when the grease gets old and sticky. It's also used in auto lubers for compressed air. Has to be pretty gentle or it would fuck everything inside a trans. 

Brake fluid is pretty safe too. Piston cups are nitrile I'm sure, been using them in systems for years and have no adverse effects. Only used viton in hydraulic systems where it's too hot for nitrile.

• Like 4

I had a friend who used to do the recycled engine oil thing. He would settle it for a few months and then run it through a centrifuge and a filter. He had a 1kz prado and did some 180,000km or so on it if I remmeber correctly.

He originally used transformer oil as he was a industrial electrician, I mentioned this to someone once and they said something about that stuff being super carcinogenic.

I heard some nightmare stories from him too though, hoses popping off the centrifuge and staying up until 4am on a work night to clean up the mess. I always kind of thought it was in the too hard basket really.

• Like 5