Not car related, electronics.

mjrstar

Wife's treadmill has become no-go, now if the was a cheap $1000 or whatever machine I'd send it to scrap and replace. But it's a gym spec heavy duty thing that's going to cost 5 grand or more for something similar.. 

The circuit board is showing no signs of life when powered up,(no clicks or less lightning up) I found the 250v infeed varistor looked sick so I took the board in and had an electronic guy replace that but he wasn't interested in further fault finding, still no dice. 

There are a bunch of relays and another transformer and an inductor coil, all of which seem to have no visible signs of damage.. I suspect it's something as simple a relay but equally a voltage spike may have fried other components.. 

I guess the main issue is it weighs a couple of hundred kgs so can't easily take it to the shop..

I guess what I'm asking Is there a systematic way I can check off each of the components which is likely to be the problem from most to least likely? 

A replacement board may or may not be available for about a grand, with the added complexity that I can only find a 110v unit, EX usa and it might be one of the other things that is stopping it from firing into life, not the board itself. 

IMG_20220225_104919_compress73.jpg

Just now, mjrstar said:

Ha, I have found a pdf for testing /fault finding, my previous search was junk! 

When it says black to black or whatever is that between the two black pins? 

Screenshot_20220225_110711_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Because I'm getting pretty much zero black to black but ~230 between black /yellow or black/ orange? 

It's looking like this step down transfer might be the issue. If I should be getting low voltage ac across each off the paired colours and it's got nothing, but it has good 230v in.. 

Transformer has open circuit when resistance test across the 230 in. (not sure this is correct?) 

It has zero ohms/ continuity on the output pairs. 

11 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Could be thermal fuse in the input to the transformer, would have that symptom. look like it's been hot?

Is the thermal fuse inside the transformer itself?

One side of the plastic on the transformer is darker looking. 

IMG_20220225_114713_compress5.jpg

42 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

Is the thermal fuse inside the transformer itself?

One side of the plastic on the transformer is darker looking. 

Often can be. Transformer might be standard or special. If standard, part number / spec may tell you.

Disconnect from circuit, and measure the input resistance. if open, more clue.

6 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Often can be. Transformer might be standard or special. If standard, part number / spec may tell you.

Disconnect from circuit, and measure the input resistance. if open, more clue.

Yip, input is open circuit when disconnected.

It appears to be special with 2 different output voltages maybe? 

• 3 weeks later...