Sioux - Retrofitted seatbelts

Sioux

My EN1 Civic came from the factory with only four seat belts. I fitted a lap belt taken from the front bench of a Falcon in the centre seat position in the back of the Civic using the factory seat belt bolts. My wof guy never questioned the additional seat belt. Perhaps he should have? 

A few years later I fitted the same lap belt in the centre back seating position in my Wolseley 1300 but without factory anchor points (factory belts on two front seats only) and that was never questioned either.

Would be very interested to know the actual rules are for this. 

• Thanks 1

The virm has this as a note. However I've never had a problem with the rear belts in my 71 car on factory mounts. They weren't oem fitted.

An original equipment seatbelt anchorage is an anchorage that was installed by the vehicle manufacturer at the time the vehicle was manufactured, and was fitted with a seatbelt by the vehicle manufacturer at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

If you have to fit anchorages or drill holes to fit them- will need cert. 

If the car has factory anchorages but never had belts fitted - I doubt you would have any trouble,  as nobody would be able to tell it didn't have them originally

I know of quite a few cars that have had belts fitted into unused original anchorages to pass compliance with no cert required, there wouldn't be anything to certify if there's no new anchorages 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4