dmulally’s 1965 Hillman Imp

dmulally

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Silverdale rads never got back to me so I have taken a bit of a leap of faith and gone for a Torana heater core for an auxiliary radiator. It has the same outlet pipe dimensions so that's a good start. I'll have to have a play with the housing and adjust it to fit in. 

• Like 5

Hmmmm... After fixing that loose nut on the fuel pump the fuel pump no longer works. It came with a spare one so I'll go through the dance of swapping that over and fixing the oil leak at the same time. If that doesn't work I'll convert to electric. 

I'll do anything to avoid actually checking I have fuel in the tank I guess. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I was too lazy to wire in the temp gauge first and with a warm weekend coming up I wanted to keep things cool. 

So I plumbed in the aux cooler and moved the plate low and to the right to not block the cooler and direct air in. Should be good for another 1.3 horsepower. 

received_1177339609737386.jpeg

received_310013587908397.jpeg

• Like 7

Hmmmm so I took it out for some takeaway. The hoses heading forward used to be joined together and were too hot to touch where it snaked past your leg (oooh errr Vicar!)

Now the one going into the aux rad is warm to hot but not scalding like before. 

The one going back to the engine is cold. Even the outlet pipe is cold to the touch. 

So either it is cooling better than I ever imagined or there is a blockage in the core or something. 

I have parked it on a ramp to work any air bubbles back to the radiator overnight. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I mentioned that painting in Spring was fun. 

spacer.png

I have a very small window of which I can paint in before the wind and humidity get out of hand. It's usually between 0700-0800. Today was one of those days where everything was going too well until I pulled the trigger. Thankfully I had only just started so it will only mean not having to rub back the whole car. I did get a nasty run too so I'm using this as an opportunity. 

And as these things go, it stopped raining after about 30 seconds. It was just one of those fuck you's from the skies. I'll probably paint it inside I think and just deal with the dust nibs and overspray over everything. This should have been a 20 minute job. Ahh well shit happens. Let's hope I have enough paint left to finish it. but I'm willing to bet I dont. I'll try again next week when I'm not so down on it. 

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Sad 11

• 3 weeks later...

Changed the solenoid with a spare I had in the parts bin and nothing doing. So took out the starter and it has a nasty crack on the case. Time to find a new one. 

Also spent a couple hours sanding off the topcoat. Starting with 360 grit and work my way back up. Few weeks left to go on that one just to get back to where I started which is nice. Lots of imperfections to tidy up along the way so not all bad. 

I do have other projects I really would rather be doing however. 

Screenshot_20221120-175520~2.png

Screenshot_20221120-175608~2.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...