dmulally’s 1965 Hillman Imp

dmulally

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So as expected the spark plug change fixed the hard starting issue. There is still some hesitation on the throttle which is down to one of a few things in my mind. Either the choke needs to be connected (I haven't really driven it that far but it does seem to get better the more it drives), there is a blockage in the carb, or the car just needs to stretch it's legs and blow off some cobwebs. 

In prepping for a pre-wof I found a light out (you can see it in the first pic of this thread) so raided my stash and went around the car putting in new lights. I changed my s-type bulbs to LED and had a few left over so changed the dash globes for them. Talk about a difference! I still need new gauges however so I'll sort out the dash properly when I get a chance. The fake radiator grill comes off this week so I'll likely get started on prepping for a quick and nasty paint job then. 

Hmmm pics aren't working so I'll put them up when it works for me. 

• Like 3

Rightio. So the wof bloke (new guy for me but is into old cars and tractors so we didn't stop crapping on) I'm going to try is happy to give it the once over to let me know what he thinks it will need which is good. 

I might have a look at painting it this weekend but I'll have to poke and prod some of the rust spots first. The bright green is everywhere so I might just paint on that thick sealer type paint inside first. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmmm trouble in paradise. Took it for a blat yesterday evening and there is quite a bit of oil leaking onto the exhaust which doesn't inspire me with confidence. Time to drag it into the workshop to sort that out as well as measure up for a front mounted radiator. 

• Like 5