Dan buys another white Chevy

Lt. Dan

1 hour ago, sentra said:

shit i was confused here - (this is dave)

@Lt Danand @Lt. Dan

theres two of you!! what are the chances

one of them fixes the ambulances, and the other is doing his best to end up in one.

did they have to back that truck all the way out?

Oh crap.  I feel like I should change my name now since the other Dan has probably been around longer.   Is that possible?  Also ideas for another name?

The driver was great. He was actually already turned around in the 3rd picture.  He went down the driveway next to the shed to the farm behind me, then hooked it backed around infront of my section towards the other houses.  

On 21/01/2022 at 18:09, NickJ said:

Whats your plans for the machine? They're quite production focused arn't they?

Yeah they are an interesting machine these twin table vertical's.   Since you are working from the side window for setups they are a bit ergonomically inconvenient for job shopping/prototyping, but at the same time you don't get the advantages that a twin pallet horizontal does (a tombstone with lots more surface for parts and good chip clearance).   The 15k rpm spindle only goes down to 150rpm, and looses a bit of torque down low, so you have to focus your machining strategy towards high speed/constant engagement tool paths.

I think that's why this machine didn't have a lot of interest and went for what I thought was a good price and because of that I'm willing to put up with the inconvenience and extra floor space vs a standard BT30 machine. For reference it went for a more than a new Shapeoko and much less than a starter package Tormach 440, so if you have the power and space buying a used industrial machine will get you a bunch more than a hobby grade machine. You may have to put up with Fanuc... but once you get over that you're golden.

In terms of my plans, I'm an engineering consultant and I felt that it might be nice to have a bit of capacity to do odd jobs for clients (so no need to keep the spindle busy). I have a bit of background in machining from years ago, so its something I'd like to be able to do again because I really enjoyed it.  Sometimes I have errant dreams of completely transitioning out of being a consultant to making parts (I probably incorrectly feel that will be lower stress), so this is kind of a way to test out the market/feasibility/enjoy-ability of that as a revenue stream.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress.  Been waiting for one of my industrial sparky friends to come wire it up but it's the maintenance shut season for the power stations around here so they are all busy.

Started cleaning all the schmoo off. Did a few hours, maybe got a 1/3 done. You can see how the before/after nastiness on the side I haven't cleaned yet.  Not going crazy on every nook and cranny, just trying to get the bulk of it off, it's a machine tool after all.

4_IMG_20220212_132903.thumb.jpg.b9e3e7ba39cd7d715227c269f628c08c.jpg

141250339_3_IMG_20220212_1329072.thumb.jpg.7b376c73c6c007eadc081c68c2be8874.jpg

5_IMG_20220212_132856.thumb.jpg.9f691ef85405c9e8eeabba5035a52b87.jpg

My partner came in asking me to make a replacement clip for the brake line on the fork on her bike, it was maybe $35 shipped which she thought was too much so she didn't want to pay for it.  I told her it would take me hours to make once the machine got going so it probably was a better idea to just buy it.  She still didn't want to buy it and asked if she could help in exchange, so I put her to work water blasting the chip tray in the pouring rain...fair trade. 

2_IMG_20220212_132919.thumb.jpg.544851ea23a4093aa9f98afdb589f0c4.jpg

Took the back y axis way cover off and scraped the old dry grease/machine poos out from around the linear rails. Will get the other side and the X axis when it's powered up and I can jog it around to make room.

1_IMG_20220212_143447.thumb.jpg.e9a456293d50c33aeadb612ebb863908.jpg

0_IMG_20220212_144411.jpg

• Like 9