Odd Tach question

The Q

Hi guys,

I have an ancient 1996 RAV4  AWD Auto with an odd behavior.  The car  accelerates fairly slowly but normally up to about 2.5 - 3,000 rpm.  After that I can often put my foot on the gas and see no change in the revs at all (& no notable acceleration)

so,

1. If the auto clutch was slipping I would expect to see the revs increase, so its not that.

2. If the Tach was at fault then I would expect the car to accelerate despite the tach readings.

Only thing I can think of is the clutch is slipping but the tach meter is linked not to the engine but to the drive shaft output - which seems odd design?  Does anyone know?

Cheers

Quentin

2 hours ago, The Q said:

No, completely normal

So you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, and the engine sound doesnt get louder, deeper, or faster? As Torton said, sounds like the throttle isnt opening if thats the case, otherwise without looking at it im at a loss. A slipping trans would result in an increase in RPM with no forward momentum. 

On 22/01/2022 at 10:31, cletus said:

Could be something like a blocked exhaust- baffle broken in the muffler, or the pipe is squashed somewhere 

If you put it in N and give it a rev, what does it do? Does it rev higher than 3000? Is the engine check light on? 

Hi Cletus,   In Neutral revs smoothly all the way to 4500k. No engine check lights.

Torton, it "from the outside, it looks like its turning 80 odd degrees" I'll have to take it apart tomorrow.

Q

22 minutes ago, The Q said:

Hi Cletus,   In Neutral revs smoothly all the way to 4500k. No engine check lights.

Torton, it "from the outside, it looks like its turning 80 odd degrees" I'll have to take it apart tomorrow.

Q

Might be the throttle pedal is bent. They usually are after 20 years of mashing it into the floor