Marlborough Moped Melee - 4th, 5th, 6th March 2022 - Entry form now Live

- i5oogt -

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't call a 390 a big heavy bike, its about as small as "adventure" bikes go but it does make me lol with the popularity of adv riding these days the amount of people starting off on bikes not really suited for newby's to the world of motorcycling.

Back in amazing days of the 70s/80s/90s a 250cc was a typical sized adv bike for getting offroad as well as touring, that seems to have at least doubled now. I'm all about big bikes, but i didn't learn to ride on them. I was watching a video on the NZAR page about some dudes on a new T7 with all the trendy gear and another on a DR650 riding oldlins rd and making it sound super knarly with "rock walls" and shit. I've been in there plenty during mancamp and its a piece of piss, people in stock rav4s doing it and shit, old boys on R80 bmws. We have had guys that have never ridden a bike before ride it on CTX200s etc.

There seems to be so much keeping up with the jones' in the bike world now where you need to have the flashest bike, these 390s are case and point. She should be riding a $2500 Yamaha XT250 super sherper, would learn so much more skills and not be almost dead because of one single rock that she locked on to.

• Like 9

I overheard some of rangiora moped riders talking about some ride they did on the coast on some gnarly trail. They were on small bikes, and they came across some guys on some big bikes who were exhausted/stuck and couldn't get through the trail because their machines were so heavy, and they were fatigued. These roosters rode their bikes put past where they were stuck for them or so the story went.

So apparently I'm on support vehicle duties for this next year. 

I know it's super early days but would there be a date in mind for this nek year? Cause there's Nats at the end of Feb, and I have the missus' sisters wedding the weekend of the 4th March. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DoBro Jesus said:

So apparently I'm on support vehicle duties for this next year. 

I know it's super early days but would there be a date in mind for this nek year? Cause there's Nats at the end of Feb, and I have the missus' sisters wedding the weekend of the 4th March. 

Good work! I have no idea, @RUNAMUCKwill sort it out, but to be honest your support, and the roads being open is probably the deciding factor. I've just finished my repairs /upgrades. 

IMG-20220406-WA0004.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching a bit of that vid (skipping through to find bits where they’re actually riding rather than being tourists!), and she’s going so slowly most of the time she makes it look harder than it really is. I’m sure even the slowest amongst us (possibly me on uphills!) would be significantly faster and more in control on our old pos’s than her on a modern “purpose designed” adv bike. More about style and “content” than starting on something small enough to build some confidence on - unfortunately relatively large adv’s are what’s selling these days, even to first timers.