Marlborough Moped Melee - 4th, 5th, 6th March 2022 - Entry form now Live

- i5oogt -

And yea in terms of difficulty the only spicy bit is the mangatapu. Braeburn is just a causal AF gravel ride, porika is easy going down hill, it’s just a pylon track that you could take a stock 4wd over so nothing technical. Coming up will be easier on small bikes than big bikes, assuming we turn around at the bottom and come back the same way. 

it’s a shame we don’t push to Murchison and do the maruia saddle afterwards, I’ve ridden that on my xr250 and xrv750 and it’s hands down the coolest track I have hooned in NZ 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The form should be up by the end of this week too. 

I've been too busy to get my fizz on for this. But its building now.

Going to speak to a farmer on north bank road this week too for vehicle/trailer storage.

I'll probably dump my vehicle there Thursday night and ride back to blenheim. (Its about twenty minutes down north bank road.)

• Like 1

Sweeeet, ferry’s booked for Markku, Steve and myself. Ended up bringing the ute down to blen as it was a lot cheaper than riding on 3 individual bikes, and saves stashing the ute in Wellington. 
opted for fully refundable fares in case omicron decides to fuck with our shit 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 16/01/2022 at 13:13, BLIZZO said:

And yea in terms of difficulty the only spicy bit is the mangatapu. Braeburn is just a causal AF gravel ride, porika is easy going down hill, it’s just a pylon track that you could take a stock 4wd over so nothing technical. Coming up will be easier on small bikes than big bikes, assuming we turn around at the bottom and come back the same way. 

it’s a shame we don’t push to Murchison and do the maruia saddle afterwards, I’ve ridden that on my xr250 and xrv750 and it’s hands down the coolest track I have hooned in NZ 

Spoke to an old boy in Murchison last Friday on my way down to the shed session in Christchurch, he’d just ridden the Porika. Said it was absolutely horrible on his new CT125 Hunter with the road tyres. I’ve also heard a lot of ADV bike guys crying about it too, but they’re a different kettle of fish with big heavy bikes and some don’t do gravel well. 

There is Mt Inwood lookout we rode past last time too if time allows. 

Porika is fine, if old mate is crying about it in a CT he must be a pretty new rider. The first time I did it Blinky bill did it on a CB350four, hayhole on a gn250 with road tyres. Mitch did it on a BMW r80 road bike on our brass monkey trip in winter and it was a walk in the park on my 200kg africa twin with 40kg of luggage. My father in law rides it both ways with the cook on the back of his africa twin. Mangatapu is far more technical than porika 

• Like 3