Soaps101's 82 KP62 Starlet - Discussion

soaps101

I am currently going through the process of rebuilding a 5k with a few hot parts so I am looking forward to reading more on the build, please keep us updated!

A really easy way to get images up on here if you're on a windows computer, browse to this forum using edge or chrome, open the image that you want on the post, use the in-built snipping tool, take a snip, paste into the forum post.
If you're still getting an error then you can make the image physically smaller (by clicking and dragging the corner of the image window) and repeating the above steps
image.png.a86cbc3c0f9c24780bbd36e7a0d10b5a.png

If you are posting from your phone or iPad/tablet, I have no idea.. haha

• Like 1

So first cab off the rank I'm keen to dig into is the nuts and bolts.. literally. Long story short my rebuilt motor didn't come with many and I've also managed to misplace a few here and there so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action.

What would you normally do if you're trying to replace fixings?

Can you get bolt kits for these old cars? Or best to just try to measure & replace? How do you work out size/threads if you don't have the fixing anymore?

I've been to blacks fasteners etc, they have helped me source some but others are a bit of a myth.. 

Any cunning plans/tricks/ideas I'm all ears. 

Replacements needed so far are:

• Threads/bolts for sump to block (image attached)
  • Brake reservoir bolts/screws.
  • Fan shroud screws - to fix the fan motor back to the shroud

Screenshot 2022-01-10 210341.jpg

• 1 month later...

Re bolts. They be metric for a start. Easiest would be wind a similar size bolt in. If it screws in then assume its a match. Then measure the outside diameter with calipers to give the size (it'll be slightly under ie m8 measures 7.85mm or so) and measure the thread pitch with a pitch gauge or can use calipers. Measure 4 or 10 threads etc and divide by the amount of threads.  Generally theyll be m5x.8 m6x1 m8x1.25 m10x1.5 m12x1.75 which are metric coarse. But there may be instances where fine pitch are used, so best to check.  8.8 grade is a minimum for new bolt strength. You tend to stretch lesser spec bolts.

Re engine sump, its been a while and could be wrong but im thinking you have a corolla version sump fitted to new engine. They're longer north/south and sit on the crossmember when put in a kp. Check your orig kp sump for comparison?

• Like 1

Jump on Amayama - I bet you'll be able to get most bolts, genuine.

You probably won't find your chassis number but you'll find a Japanese market model and most of those fasteners will be identical.

Way better than bolt shop bolts, with their silly 13mm heads etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the above ^^^ 3. I will head down these avenues - I managed to source some bolts, but others still need finding. AE25 ill check the sumps this weekend - a rookie like me didn't notice anything out of the ordinary! Definitely not the same era motor as original - noticing some subtle differences between the two. Need to do my homework and try and establish exactly what breed/year of 3k I'm dealing with...

• 2 months later...