Soaps101's 82 KP62 Starlet

soaps101

• 1 month later...

Update - crack a brew and wrap your laughing gear around this.

Its been a few weeks - & the battle has begun. As usual nothings easy... the rebuilt motor was not really that rebuilt. Long story short I cracked the head off and found a pretty average looking block surface - so had to get that machined. Gave old Rod at the engine shop my yarn so far and at the mention of a lumpy cam he raised an eyebrow, pulled out a small cylinder of metal from the block (I now know these are called cam followers), took one look and said "These need refaced too they aren't looking so great" Son of a - . So as I do I trusted him being the expert... and he turned the whole lot around pretty quick for me. 

Not only that but the "repainted" block was quickly reverting to painted... Old mate had sprayed straight over the previous paint with no prep so it was peeling off just by looking at it the wrong way almost. Got stuck in as best as I could - sanded back and resprayed in classic gloss black - give me shit below.

The worked cam turned up & heavy duty valve springs to match. Suddenly I realised I also needed to put said valve springs in - of course I don't have the tools/know how/time right now, so went back to Rod a few days later and he threw them in for no cost. A big thanks mate!

Now the real assembly could begin... but not without a repco lube trip, wasn't going to tell her to bite the pillow this time. 

Swapped the oil pickup/pump over from my OG motor.

Got the camshaft back in. 

Worth mentioning here that I got as many ancillary engine parts powdercoated because.. well read from the mantras posted above. Also worth mentioning at this stage some of these I've already had to scrape back to fit/install them back on.. did I mention I'm an absolute rookie?

Oil filter pickup on (post scraping).

Got a mate around & put the head back on - First time on the torque wrench.

We also put the timing chain and gear on. After reading and re-reading, a youtube video, checking, re-reading some more we managed to step our way through it (well f**k lets hope so).

Remember how nothings easy? We got halfway through this and realised the bolts for the timing gear cover don't match between the motors.. (its a slightly newer 3k, I think from a slant front? Discuss here: https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/81216-soaps101s-82-kp62-starlet-discussion/&tab=comments#comment-2439653 ) And old mate hadn't supplied any with it (insert expletive).

Managed to get him on the blower, and lo and behold they were still in his shed. Good thing gasket cement doesn't set too quickly and after a quick hour long trip across the way back we had it sorted. 

I'll park it there for now.. stay tuned for the next installment of missing bolts  3k building with Soaps. 

1165141330_20220220_1524091.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

Update. A couple of months of life and hunting through the roar later. A little more progress (photos below). Been working through piecing things together from two slightly different 3k motors, but its starting to come together (who knows if it will run). The latest issue is crank pulleys - the two pulleys I have are different sizes, refer to pic below. I have taken a punt on the smaller one being right... but would love confirmation from some of you legends if possible.

Also trying to remember how the alternator bolts up, now that I've removed the snapped bolt from it 8-).

Hopefully ill have a few good weekends ahead to make some inroads and get it back in the car

20220528_122838.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

She's back. After some big days and a night or two here and there, and then throwing my peasant savings, and then my subsequent paychecks for a few more weeks at this thing we managed to get it running, wof'd and on the road. A summary of events begins below:

• Put in a big day and with the help of my brother (the apprentice mechanic, wish he had helped more than one day) got the motor back in the car.
  • Once in, spent some time trying to connect everything up & reinstating the front end as best as I could. Que mad rush to get as much on as possible before a self imposed D Day where I had booked in the exhaust to be fabricated in the big smoke. 
  • Que the day! after 6 years it left the corner of the garage, and made the 30 min haul into magoo for an exhaust. Old mate Tom there turned it around within a day, and was a rooster to deal with. Love your work Tom. The exhaust is 2" pipe all the way, one muffler at the rear. I had said "make it as grouse as you can but it needs to be legal" and then let them do their thing. Cranked the tip over quite a bit and stuck it out as much as was legal. Maybe one day will run something cheeky we can bolt on and off but for now, its a treat. 
  • From there it took one more trailer trip around to my uncles garage where I had booked him in to button up some final bits that he could do much faster and easier than I. He's worked on a few K motors in his time so knows them in and out. Que the pain. 
  • I've never been one for timing, turns out this applies to engines I build also. Managed to get the cam timing right (thank f**k) but the ignition timing...well I put the dizzy in so it fitted and that was about it (Yep forgot to do any kind of ignition timing) Uncle nailed it, along with some other small things. After a couple of days and a couple of attempts...
  • Bang. It fired up! Surely now its mint, done, awesome, cheers, all that letstakeitforaspi- no chance. 
  • Not getting fuel - of course everythings a bit blocked up after 5 years in the shed. Well, its not leaving my uncles shed until its done. At this point I've decided ill concede and use my poor, bleeding wallet to get it over the line. Go nuts uncle, get her going mate.

To be continued...

20220703_142041.jpg

• Like 5