MX5 gearbox gurus

Banga

Hoping someone one might be able to help or point me in the right direction.

I’m hoping I can add a Vehicle speed sensor to my box so that I can sort out the speedo on my cortina. 

I bought a Speedhut speed box which will take out from a VSS and turn it into a mechanical output which will mate up to the standard Cortina speedo.

I assumed the NC  MX5 5 speed box would have a VSS… but assumption is the mother of all fuck ups it seems!

It looks like the tail shaft housing has the casting marks/pattern for a VSS so I’m wondering if I can just modify my housing using those marks and add a VSS?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2007,mx-5+miata,2.0l+l4,2002662,electrical,speed+sensor,10634

Any thoughts out there?

466776F9-637D-4578-8192-5CEE67F0DAC6.jpeg

62D8620A-854C-4AFF-9F45-D23C7ED4AA2B.jpeg

Hmmm does it have the drive gear on the tailshaft to run the vss? Looks easy enough to get drilled/ tapped once you have the housing off the tailshaft

NC info is scarce prob the least modified model-Aisin 6 speed ? Shares some bits with the Rx8 ? Look at flying miata see how they work around it on their engine conversion ? 

19 minutes ago, Transom said:

Hmmm does it have the drive gear on the tailshaft to run the vss? Looks easy enough to get drilled/ tapped once you have the housing off the tailshaft

NC info is scarce prob the least modified model-Aisin 6 speed ? Shares some bits with the Rx8 ? Look at flying miata see how they work around it on their engine conversion ? 

Not sure about a drive gear, will need to pull the tail shaft housing off to take a look I guess!

This is a 5 speed box, so pretty rare outside of Europe it seems. Will have a look at lying miata!