Daves 'wannabe a hillman imp911' 1982 Porsche project discussion. Where's my Ray bans?

yoeddynz

See it here in all its 80's goodness...

@dave123456789 Noice!!! I am quite jealous. I have only driven one of these before and it left me quite smitten...

102542356_20210110_180105(Large).thumb.jpg.b136bb7450b6406be1ef09121e10cc33.jpg

I can only dream of such cars so instead I'll cobble together my own baby version from something leaky and British.

You are going to have to update your wardrobe though. You need bigger hair and more shoulder pads...

Paul Feeney on Twitter: "#yuppies #fashion #history #1980s #technology What  was life life in 1980s UK? https://t.co/CIYETyZTJ2 1980s yuppy with early  brick-like mobile phone. https://t.co/WDxvMQj9r0" / Twitter

Please can you do the right thing by us all here at oldschool and fill your thread with videos of your car at full throttle etc - if only as inspiration for me to pull finger.

• Like 3

Cheers mate!

The carrera would certainly have more pep than this. This car isnt fast although maybe im kind of used to faster vehicles. Needs less muffler so I can sound like im going quick :D

its basically an imp/beetle with a different body. you basically have the same car. these also seem to love to leak oil (luckily I dont have too much weaping going on)

Im thinking either go with the 80s wall street trader look or coked out miami vice... its tough decision. mrs wont be impressed either way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dave123456789 said:

these also seem to love to leak oil

so it sounds more like a British Imp than a beetle to me.

Yeah that orange car was quick and sounded sweet. He'd had it dyno'd and it was well over 300 which aint bad for what is still a nice usable porsche with K injection. I'm not really very clued up about them. I know what you mean about the pedals but I got used to it quick enough, possibly the Imps pedals have a similar offset which might have helped.

The porsche gearchange was a bit shit imo. Fuck I hope my subaru box has a nice action once its in!

• Like 2

That pedal offset is similar to the S100/120L Skodas and Alfa 33s. In the porker, they'll keep you nice and relaxed when you provoke a bit of slip in one direction, and a bit sweaty/feeling like a hero when it goes the opposite way... You do get used to it soon enough, much like the gearchange - It all comes down to muscle memory and after a short while you don't notice it, while anyone else that snags a trip in the hot-seat moans and struggles with the travel/slop/notchiness.

• Like 2

Nice porker Dave. You are in for bucket loads of fun. They are simple to work on and parts are plentiful.

I owned, daily drove and raced a 82 SC narrow body for just over 17 years. I bought it in 1999 with 119,000 km on the clock and sold it in 2016 with 376,000 km on the clock. The engine was untouched up to 370,000 km with the only work done on it apart from servicing being a new alternator, two clutch replacements and a timing chain tensioner upgrade to the newer Carrera hydraulic tensioners. I foolishly replaced the engine with a newer 3.2 litre Carrera engine complete with the Motronic fuel injection. There is a whole story behind the engine swap that I won't bore you with. The 3.2 was a great engine, but it hurt the resale value being a non numbers matching car. Not that I was too worried about that as the SC had quadrupled in value during my ownership. Was one of the best cars I have ever owned. Funnily enough we ended up buying a second 82 SC for my missus and the VIN numbers on the two cars were exactly 300 units apart. While I still owned the SC and business was booming I moved on to a 993 Carrera 2 and about 6 months later a GT3 MK1, but I had both for less than a year and sold them  to go back to the SC as my daily. You just can't beat the raw feeling of the older generation Porsches. My missus moved from her SC into a 964 Carrera 2 and that was a really nice car. Just enough rawness left with a lot more grunt than the SC. If I had my Porsche time over I should have purchased the 993 RS that I was offered when I was looking for a GT3. One of life's little regrets I guess.

I sure hope its not a back wheel bearing that you need to replace. It's an absolute bitch of a job. I replaced back wheel bearings twice on my SC. The second time I removed the back banana arms to press in the single piece sealed rear bearings and it was much easier than trying to do it insitu.

Bit of useless information for you. The offset pedals is only on the RHD cars. LHD cars don't suffer the same quirk. Probably the result of trying to make a factory designed LHD into a RHD.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Flash said:

Nice porker Dave. You are in for bucket loads of fun. They are simple to work on and parts are plentiful.

I owned, daily drove and raced a 82 SC narrow body for just over 17 years. I bought it in 1999 with 119,000 km on the clock and sold it in 2016 with 376,000 km on the clock. The engine was untouched up to 370,000 km with the only work done on it apart from servicing being a new alternator, two clutch replacements and a timing chain tensioner upgrade to the newer Carrera hydraulic tensioners. I foolishly replaced the engine with a newer 3.2 litre Carrera engine complete with the Motronic fuel injection. There is a whole story behind the engine swap that I won't bore you with. The 3.2 was a great engine, but it hurt the resale value being a non numbers matching car. Not that I was too worried about that as the SC had quadrupled in value during my ownership. Was one of the best cars I have ever owned. Funnily enough we ended up buying a second 82 SC for my missus and the VIN numbers on the two cars were exactly 300 units apart. While I still owned the SC and business was booming I moved on to a 993 Carrera 2 and about 6 months later a GT3 MK1, but I had both for less than a year and sold them  to go back to the SC as my daily. You just can't beat the raw feeling of the older generation Porsches. My missus moved from her SC into a 964 Carrera 2 and that was a really nice car. Just enough rawness left with a lot more grunt than the SC. If I had my Porsche time over I should have purchased the 993 RS that I was offered when I was looking for a GT3. One of life's little regrets I guess.

I sure hope its not a back wheel bearing that you need to replace. It's an absolute bitch of a job. I replaced back wheel bearings twice on my SC. The second time I removed the back banana arms to press in the single piece sealed rear bearings and it was much easier than trying to do it insitu.

Bit of useless information for you. The offset pedals is only on the RHD cars. LHD cars don't suffer the same quirk. Probably the result of trying to make a factory designed LHD into a RHD.

I love running into old porsche owners and hearing their yarns. so far general consensus is everyone regrets selling the car.

Im not too fussed about holding resale value with this car so will likely just do whatever I want with it. Unless I completely butcher the car I doubt ill ever sell it for a loss. An efi conversion could be on the cards and then was thinking turbo charging it would spice things up nicely.

I did read about the chain tensioners being a problem but unsure if I should dive in and upgrade those. isnt a cheap fix either. engines got 100k miles on it and from what I can tell hasn't been opened.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dave123456789 said:

I love running into old porsche owners and hearing their yarns. so far general consensus is everyone regrets selling the car.

Im not too fussed about holding resale value with this car so will likely just do whatever I want with it. Unless I completely butcher the car I doubt ill ever sell it for a loss. An efi conversion could be on the cards and then was thinking turbo charging it would spice things up nicely.

I did read about the chain tensioners being a problem but unsure if I should dive in and upgrade those. isnt a cheap fix either. engines got 100k miles on it and from what I can tell hasn't been opened.

Yep, hard to loose money on them Dave. My good lady had a racing accident with her SC and we ended up doing a 964RS body conversion on it while we were fixing it (there is a build thread on here  somewhere). We thought we would lose money on that car when we sold it but even with the cost of all of the modifications on top of the repairs we ended up breaking even.

I lost a bit on the 993 and even more on the GT3, but that was due to me only owning both cars for a very short time. They were both company cars, so with the tax breaks it made no difference to me, but still. In contrast we doubled our money on the 964 in just under 4 years of ownership. Timing is the key I guess.

I did some club racing with a guy who had fitted Toyota throttle bodies with an aftermarket management system on his SC and he was getting substantial horsepower gains with that and custom fabricated headers, so I think you are on the right track with that. Another mate had a twin turbo'ed SC and it was an absolute beast.

The chain tensioner upgrade is an easy DIY job and well worth it from a peace of mind perspective. The original tensioners are spring loaded, so tend to go bad over time but you do get an audible warning well in advance of anything catastrophic occuring. Pelican Parts in the USA (if you haven't discovered them yet) are a good source for parts.

Thought I'd inspire you by sharing a few photos of my mates RSR inspired wide body SC that was fitted with a 964 engine.

DSC01572.JPG

DSC01577.JPG

DSC01578.JPG

DSC01580.JPG

• Like 6

6 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

How much did it cost you?  Its money in the bank no matter what you do imo. 

Like imps. 

Only on a slightly different level.

Wasn't cheap but I think it was ok priced for what it is. Happy with it just needs a couple of things tidied up but so far its easy to work on. 

2 hours ago, Flash said:

For now just want to tidy a few bits up and a bit of maintenance and then just start piling on some k's then will go from there with any other updates. Have ordered a fair amount of stuff of pelican so far, im stoked how you can just buy everything for these brand new from big items down to tiny grommets or a screw. Im used to having to constantly be searching trademe and the internet for parts.

That car looks like quite the bit of kit. Whats the engine setup is that? is it on carbs or is it some trick efi kit that looks like carbs?

10 hours ago, dave123456789 said:

That car looks like quite the bit of kit. Whats the engine setup is that? is it on carbs or is it some trick efi kit that looks like carbs?

Yep, the attention to detail on the car is something to behold. Engine wise the bottom end is a stock twin sparked 3.6 litre, but the original Porsche fuel injection has been replaced with a set of PMO carbs.

• 2 years later...