Bluebear01's 1936 Austin 7 of Cheap Pre-War Fun!

Bluebear01

Depends how original you want to keep it - but I'd put something like a Pertronix on it to replace the points. Failing that, the biggest Bosch condenser on the shelf at CAE in Hornby.

Good to see one in regular use. Mate had one years back. We picked it up and put it neatly between two parking meters on Hereford st one noght while he was inside. i think he had to get a crowd from the nearest pub to help him extract it.

• Thanks 1

Doin it right!

Getting out and about with the fam, Grandad would be stoked.

Dont be afraid of reliability or saftey mods (points and 50yo nos lucas condensers? Get in the bin!) as most are reversable, in the imaginary scenario that some maniac-barry wanted to reverse them.

I would imagine that aside from electrics/ignition it is pretty reliable, robust and designed to be repaired.

If it helps with the primary directive of 'using it on the regular with the family', then you're doing it right.

• Like 2

Back pre quake there was a book store at the easternmost end of Chester street east, just west of Criton Cobbers. In the window they were displaying a large lubrication chart for these cars. It showed all the places they require oil/grease, and how often.  

What stuck in my mind, (indeed the only part I can remember)  was that it said it needed a few drops of oil on top of the steering column (presumably to lube the steering shaft inside the column) applied weekly.

Cars of this era must have left ALL of the gasoline rainbows everywhere in their day.

• Like 2