Project Golf kart

jessemk2

2 minutes ago, tortron said:

Oh no way, golf was using a full dipstick between services on that, I assumed just cos real thin and burns up 

It's worse on diesels with a DPF as it creates a vicious circle: Oil flashes off and some gets burnt -> DPF starts to load up -> DPF pressure differential calls for a regen -> Regen alters injector timing and quantity to raise EGTs to burn off soot loading -> Higher EGTs create overall higher engine temps and increase oil temp and rate of oil flashing off...  Added to that, the povo-spec petrol engines of that era (Anything less than the 2.0 turbo) can be absolute dogs with oil consumption.

7 minutes ago, jessemk2 said:

Hp fuel pump follow was done at last service 9000ks ago,was thinking its should be ok till next service.

Not sure what oil was used previous service 9k ago but was reading just above low when I checked when first went over car,took about 650ml to get to fill

So will keep a eye on it

1L between the bottom and top markings on the stick - My Mk7 is a gnat's cock under the full mark after 5000km, so it's safe to assume it's not got any Castrol in there.

50-60,000km for the pump should be fine assuming it's not a Chinesium knock-off

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked my MK5. Drove really well. It had decat with kakimoto exhaust, vw sport coilovers (sachs iirc), forge diverter valve, various carbon bits from COX. Adding shift paddle extensions was one of the best changes I made; the standard little buttons are a bit naff.

Would've kept it but the risk of DSG failure was always in the back of my mind, and i found it just a bit too civilised. It was fast, but it did everything just a bit too well and wasnt exciting.

DSC06774.jpg

• Like 2

Stage 2 takes alot of the civilized behavior away and add excitement 

I have noticed all the jap import mk5 gtis have xenon low beam headlights also rear bumper have a smaller number plate recess.Nz new ones have a spacer on the front bumper for number plate / barry out

What colour blue is that graphite blue?

1 hour ago, jessemk2 said:

Stage 2 takes alot of the civilized behavior away and add excitement 

I have noticed all the jap import mk5 gtis have xenon low beam headlights also rear bumper have a smaller number plate recess.Nz new ones have a spacer on the front bumper for number plate / barry out

What colour blue is that graphite blue?

That one was Shadow Blue. The owner after me remapped it, but i didnt have the funds to do it myself.

Yes, the jap spec cars are generally higher spec than NZDM. That one had all the options except sunroof (cruise, xenons, heated leather).

• Like 1

I'd have preferred leather, but wasn't willing to compromise on xenons with the amount of night driving I do - There just aren't enough NZ new ones running around with xenons + leather. In saying that, one did pop up on TM while I was hunting for the right one - Rough as fuck and had done a squillion km with hopes and dreams being the biggest maintenance consumable.

Mine doesnt have xenon or sunroof or the 18 inch wheels has heated leather seats and cruise control.

It does have adjustable height headlights,heated mirrors/auto down in reverse,reverse sensors,auto darkening interior rear view mirror,auto on head lights and wipers also seems to have a bigger center digital dash with adjustable menu settings which they don't all have

20220211_222550.thumb.jpg.8c51404f9cfd7c4b68ca9a3bb0d22901.jpg

I wonder if there options or just standard golf stuff

• Like 1

Most of that is standard equipment, but there can be a lot of mix and match.  A good session with VCDS/OBDeleven can enable of lot of stuff as long as the controllers and modules are of the same p/n as the car that the long coding has been copied from.

My car, and the wagon before that, didn't have "teardrop wipe" enabled - if you give the windscreen a squirt, the normal wiping happens, then they park and about 10-20 seconds later, a single wipe occurs to get the usual dribbles off. No matter how many times I entered the coding for it, it wasn't happening - Controller module was a slightly earlier suffix.

Ok

Yeah you can adjust alot of that stuff from the digital screen on this one

I did notice when you turn car off and take key out the wipers do come up a bit I think it to expose the Vin number behind windscreen because when wipers are fully down it covers it and if you put in reverse while front wipers are on it will turn rear wipers on inter.20220212_131002.thumb.jpg.d7c3495f0ba77262bfdb152e32bb1e94.jpg

Anyway picked it up from getting tinted this morning

• Like 3

You'll see the wipers twitch like that on shutdown/ignition cycle - It's to do with stopping them sticking when it's freezing outside. Also, unsure on a Mk5, but if the wipers are in the fully parked position, you can't lift them up to the service position to change the blades.

When you turn the car off, if you push the wiper lever up it will park the wipers straight up the windscreen to wash windscreen or service blades. Also to turn your rear wiper off push or pull your wiper lever like you are doing hi or low beam, I can’t remember which way turns off or on though. Hope there’s some useful info for you 

• Like 1

Thought I'd upgrade the headlights and fogs to ice white 100w bulbs.

Brought off ebay as a mk5 golf plug and play with canbus friendly led park lights.

Few problem leds still  threw a code then would turn off,not much difference between high and low beam and the wiring to high beam was getting very warm.

20220214_210600.thumb.jpg.2b75c7658941afb378ce31548bb79d3e.jpg

Think I'll throw them in the bin and go back to standard and re wire high beam wires by the headlight housings :(

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Done the engihe and dsg oil and filters then done dsg ecu reset

Still waiting on my fan temp sensor then I'll service the cooling system

After doing a bit of research while I've got the front off to upgrade intercooler and clean the intake ports,(it's a while your in there) I'll take the injectors out and get them serviced and flow tested for piece of mind with the extra ponys it will produce

Also recommended is new spark plugs and coil packs before tune

Alot of guys seem to buy r8 coil packs 

Ive got a invoice that says coil packs and spark plugs were replaced by vw 2 years ago,so I gona roll with that cause genuine coil packs + spark plugs ain't cheap.

• Like 2

I'm almost at my 10k budget

But didn't allow for stuff like tints audio

Think I'm going to go over by about $1500 after it's been tuned.

Doing it all proper though and everything that needs replacing will be done,  because think I hold on to it for a while.

It's still will be alot cheaper than the  mazda mps 3 I was considering at the time that wasn't as tidy either and about equal performance 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...