Flash's 66 mustang

cletus

Nice. 

I know the stereotype you are referring to which I think unfortunately makes people look down on a pretty good car. 

Easy to get parts for, relatively light and compact for an American car, heaps of aftermarket mods available 

I'd like a 68 notchback and it would look as though it came out of a 90s car craft article on "budget 11 second streeters" or something like that. 

• Like 4

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. My brother bought a 6 cyl poverty pack mustang for $14k and his wife has dailied it for years. Put an Aussie 2v head on it but otherwise stock, drums all round etc.

He talked about upgrading drivetrain but it's far more interesting like it is. Draws a crowd whenever he parks. 

If you avoid the boomer stereotype with the jackets/hats etc they're a good honest old car that still looks sweet...

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I really appreciate your comments.

I was offered a mint 6 pack blue on blue about 6 weeks back and was really tempted but it was only $7K less than what I ended up paying for this 289, so I'm glad I waited.

And thanks Clint for setting up a discussion thread for me. It's been a while since I did one and I was wracking my brain last night trying to remember how I did the last one, so thanks heaps for helping me out.

We took the Tang for a quick drive along the beachfront this morning and I just can't wipe the smile off my face. Definitely good bang for buck to be found in these. I've been watching the Mustang market from afar for almost 5 years now and in typical OCD fashion I've been keeping a spreadsheet listing all "near factory" ones that have come up for sale. Looking back through my records it seems to me like they are one of the few cars that hasn't been hit too harshly with Covid tax. The price of classic Holdens and Chevys has just gone crazy of late here in Straya.

I've got a lot to learn about Mustangs so its good to know that I have a support network on oldschool that I can ask for assistance from.

• Like 3

This looks very well specced as well!

I can see power brakes, so I assume discs up front?

I see power steering too. Console and A/C?

They're so much nicer to drive with all of that. Mine is only missing the A/C, but on a hot day it really bloody misses it haha.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anglia4 said:

This looks very well specced as well!

I can see power brakes, so I assume discs up front?

I see power steering too. Console and A/C?

They're so much nicer to drive with all of that. Mine is only missing the A/C, but on a hot day it really bloody misses it haha.

Yep discs up front. The power steer is surprisingly good although  I've heard mixed reports on them. The a/c compressor and condenser came with some other spares in the boot so that's the first thing that needs sorting as it gets pretty toasty here in Queensland. Its not the original piston based compressor so looks like it has had an upgrade somewhere along the line, but time will tell on whether the compressor is still any good.

The other interesting thing that it still has is the original C4 "green dot" transmission which I thought would have been long gone by now. 

Previous owner was kind enough to include the original distributor, 2 barrel inlet manifold, carby and factory air cleaner. Not that I'll ever fit them, but it's nice to have the original bits and pieces.

• Like 2

Thanks @NominalYep, totally agree. Spoils the classic look in my opinion.

I've been looking for something a little bit different to the usual Magnums or Scott Drake chromed steels. I worry about the quality of modern chrome from a longevity point of view. Would prefer something in alloy with a lip that I can buff up every now and again.

I'm currently leaning towards going with these in 15 x 8 with period looking BFGs in a 60 profile. Total diameter for the proposed wheel / tyre combo comes in 10mm more than the current wheels, so pretty close.

HA01kit.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Raizer said:

Have been running Narva h4 LEDs in my HiAce for almost 6 months, will never go back to incandescent bulbs again!

They make the +50 bulbs I had seem like candles

Thanks for the feedback @Raizer. Am I correct in assuming I shouldn't have to fit relays to run the h4 LEDs ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SOHC said:

Those LED things are heinous 

Yep, agree. My temporary sealed beams look much better but the light they produce is pretty poor by modern standards. I've got a set of semi sealed units on their way and have taken @Raizer's advice and ordered a set of Narva H4 LED bulbs. Can't wait to get them fitted. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

Yep, agree. My temporary sealed beams look much better but the light they produce is pretty poor by modern standards. I've got a set of semi sealed units on their way and have taken @Raizer's advice and ordered a set of Narva H4 LED bulbs. Can't wait to get them fitted. 

Semi sealed units may look funny if they have the flat glass that sticks out, problem is the sealed beam units they sell now last about 10 mins

On 23/12/2021 at 20:41, Flash said:

Thanks for the feedback @Raizer. Am I correct in assuming I shouldn't have to fit relays to run the h4 LEDs ?

I would be fitting a relay to the front lights that's for sure 

helps with light output and load on the system as the wiring on these old cars can be quite bad.

and definitely when upgrading the lights   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...