Flash's 66 Mustang

Flash

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

Chucked the fuel return line in for its final fitting and I'm happy with the overall result.

Not that easy to take decent photos of it running along the transmission tunnel, but here are a few of the portion that sits inside the front fender:

20230116_110421.jpg

20230117_114009.jpg

• Like 7

Next step is to plumb the return line into the factory fuel tank.

Some guys fit a "T" piece into the fuel filler neck, but that would have entailed me routing the return line into the boot and I wasn't keen to do that.

The Fitech master installation kit comes with a little fitting that works on the same principle as a rivnut. Only downside is that it means having to drill a hole in the tank.

Now feel free to call me a bit of a big girl blouse but I've heard a few horror stories of sparks causing fuel tanks to blow up wreaking injury and carnage to those caught in the fray. I don't really fancy the sound of that, so haven't been looking forward to this step. But, yesterday arvo I pulled out the tank and first thing this morning I put on my big boy pants and cracked straight into it.

First up a few up close and personal photo of the rivnut type thingy for those interested:

20230118_080315.jpg

20230118_092122.jpg

• Like 5

First step was to drain the loose tank of the last few cups of fuel. This included a bit of debris that I guess has been languishing at the bottom of the tank for a good few years.

Next step was to fill the tank to the brim with sky juice as no one is going to make a burnt offering out of me.

I then slowly drilled a 3mm pilot hole and worked my way in increments of 1mm until my step drill bit would fit the hole and took it the last few steps to 12.5mm.

20230118_084928.jpg

20230118_091443.jpg

20230118_093235.jpg

20230118_094446.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've spent the last couple of weeks driving the tits off the Mustang. The Fitech EFI has performed flawlessly so far and I'm consistently getting AFR readings in the mid 14s during cruising.

Pulled the spark plugs for a gander and some are a lovely "cooked chook" colour with some of the plugs showing up slightly leaner. It's still too early to tell what the fuel consumption is like, but judging by the condition of the plugs it's got to be way better than it was.

However, I'm still experiencing sporadic fumes inside the cabin which is annoying. 

So back to the drawing board to track down the cause. 

Thought I'd focus on the exhaust system, or at least the parts that I haven't touched thus far.

Started off by pulling the driver's side exhaust header. Some of the bolts were not that tight which got me excited. Looking at the gasket once I got it out showed definite signs of blow by, so I was pretty confident that I had maybe found the culprit. Chucked in a new gasket and tightened up the bolts properly. I did the other header gasket as part of the O2 sensor install so I knew that side was good. Replaced the flange gasket too.

Took the car out for a quick squirt and it's definitely a lot better than it was, but you can still get a good whiff of fumes now and again especially when she is up to operating temp. I've checked my PCV valve and hose and they are all good, so I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

Suggestions on the back of a sealed envelope will be gladly accepted.

Thanks for reading.

20230225_095844.jpg

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In terms of ongoing maintenance, the poor old Mustang has been taking a back seat to our Thames van for quite a while now, but the recent failure of its starter motor has finally pushed it to the front of the queue.

The old clapper style starter that these are blessed with has been slowly getting lazier and lazier, especially during hot starts. The main reason for this is the fact that it sits so close to the RHS exhaust header that it slowly gets cooked. A good 18 months back I bought one of those mini high torque jobbies as a replacement.

20240123_095320.jpg.0632caf5c2308c7e8ebf2adeabf09a5c.jpg

These are supposed to be fully adjustable to provide extra header clearance but in this instance it actually ended up making things worse to the point where the header would no longer fit. So, I ended up wrapping the original in one of those thermal blankets and putting it back. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done and she didn't last too much longer.

I toyed with the idea of buying another high torque example marketed by Aeroflow, but after seeking advice from our local auto electrician I ended up going for another clapper style unit.

New and old together:

20240202_080231.jpg.b20ab442ff79d48b36ab094cc2db829d.jpg

The newer unit is a slightly improved design with the main terminal located at the rear of the unit rather than on the side closest to the header.

I tweaked the header slightly with a BFH and ended up wrapping it in some of that thermal bandage. There is a good 15mm of clearance now so hopefully this will give the new starter a fighting chance.

While I was grovelling around under the old girl I noticed that the power steering pressure hose was looking a bit tatty. Here:

20240202_125639.thumb.jpg.2a6ae31377043d1fe42e601d6528f097.jpg

And here:

20240202_125614.thumb.jpg.903abedcfdbb38d7111800c3f295ea48.jpg

The hose moves back and forth as its attached to the main ram which in turn forms part of the steering centre link so it ends up with this kind of wear at both flex points.

Replacements are cheap as chips, so I added a fresh unit sourced from Rob at Sydney Mustang.

20240202_125551.jpg.4f4d16dc3aa4b0a7a5e44a9fe0b8136d.jpg

Another thing that looked well flogged was the dust boot and end rubbers on the power steering ram.

20240203_100258.jpg.bf4f5506560b5a8f0b5aa03f6c23ed36.jpg

Ended up getting a fresh kit in the same parcel with the hose, so I chucked that in too.

20240203_095805.jpg.3ac8ed5afd252b6a432b5dc92c2f8d65.jpg

I'll give the Mustang a bath sometime next week and hopefully then all will be forgiven.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

I've been trying to track down the source of an intermittent steering "clunk" for a while now and yesterday I finally got a chance to chuck the Muzzy up on my mate's hoist for a good look see. It didn't take us long to identify the source as a worn ball joint on the power steering valve -this being the only ball joint that I haven't replaced thus far.

Using a photo off the web the offending ball joint looks like so:

Ballvalveimage.jpg.db1c3218959d65ea91b4acade768a270.jpg

So first thing this morning I pulled out the centre link that incorporates the power steering valve and ... yep... my ball joint is well knackered:

20240206_094148.jpg.dd71bf751b49920833fccbc1e6c6d76b.jpg

Ended up ordering a steering valve ball and stud rebuild kit from Sydney Mustang which is winging its way to me as we speak, but I thought I'd get a head start by stripping the nasty thing down.

20240206_105414.jpg.a54b2443c7e4368c13f715817019693e.jpg

Gave everything a good clean and now I just need the new bits to arrive.

• Like 9

Recently the a/c blower fan has been making an intermittent grinding sound which has been getting steadily worse. I figured it was a sign that the motor was on its last legs.

So, on my way back from the alignment shop I wheeled past the a/c place and Josh quickly dropped the gas for me.

20240212_094217.jpg.8338b9af5587645524f4a3c67b75c4ac.jpg

Oh, by the way, that black beastie in the background is an LS3 powered 350Z that is in for some a/c work.

Anyway, back home I pulled the under-dash unit out and opened it up:

20240212_124521.jpg.be0799cd3942803e0b857fc8e91c6642.jpg

Chucked a battery on it and fired up the motor. Sure enough grinding sound started up almost straight away.

Turns out the hamster wheel on the left was just touching the inner rim of the casing. Yikes can it be that simple I thought.

Removed the small holding clamp and slid the wheel slightly outward till it cleared the casing a bit more before reinstalling the holding clamp.

Tested it again and it was running smooth as silk.

Unit is back together and reinstalled with fresh o rings on the a/c lines and a brand-new receiver/drier.

It's booked in for a re-gas first thing on Friday morning.

• Like 9