Connecting clamp style hoses to braided

zep

I am keen to run my master cylinder to a remote reservoir with braided lines. The problem is that there are no threads in the master cylinder inlet, only these clamp on plastic things. 

What's the best way to adapt this to braided lines that I can thread in to the reservoir?

My two thoughts have been using some kind of rubber bung and a push in adapter that is threaded on the other end, or welding on something threaded but was advised not to weld the master cylinder as it might warp.

20211205_195507.rotated.jpg.e283fab005179548b8a5cf7c3334d848.jpg

20211205_195550.rotated.jpg.c28d66972f329b908268641feda8a878.jpg

Assuming you are only looking for the look of stainless braid rather than any performance gain on the non pressurized side, you'd probably get away with some rubber lined stainless braided hose and clamps. 

Personally I'd run a rubber hose for this application and call it job done. 

Another option would be a machined stub that presses in with the - 3an or whatever nipple you desire threaded /welded to that, perhaps cooled slightly to make it an interference fit on installation. 

heat shrink over the cut braid and a hose clamp would be my move unless you dont want a visible hose clamp. 

you can also get heat shrinkable hose clamps for radiator hoses, can probably get small ones too. that would be a clean way to do it

gates power grip

image.png.9504ccf1dba756c6db1fec3e0f2bd0fe.png

i would blow cold air through the hose/plastic fitting while shrinking though to hopefully prevent damage to the plastic nipple

Interesting. I assume that the gate powergrip clamps have some kind of adhesive in them. I wonder how that would react to the brake fluid if any managed to sneak around. It's not pressurised, though, so should be okay.

On 05/12/2021 at 21:12, mjrstar said:

Assuming you are only looking for the look of stainless braid rather than any performance gain on the non pressurized side, you'd probably get away with some rubber lined stainless braided hose and clamps. 

Personally I'd run a rubber hose for this application and call it job done. 

Another option would be a machined stub that presses in with the - 3an or whatever nipple you desire threaded /welded to that, perhaps cooled slightly to make it an interference fit on installation. 

I like the idea of a press-fit plug/stub. Thread it, weld in a nipple and be done. You could even machine an o-ring groove in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snoozin said:

I like the idea of a press-fit plug/stub. Thread it, weld in a nipple and be done. You could even machine an o-ring groove in it.

I can't quite visualise this idea in my mind

5 minutes ago, zep said:

I can't quite visualise this idea in my mind

You re-make a nicer looking version of those plastic push in bits out of aluminum with a dash fitting jammed on the top.

I had after posting considered the o-ring option Richie von Snoozin suggests which I think could well be a nice addition.