Tortrons bike trailer

tortron

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to mount the ramps at the front of the bed and have them slide out the sides. 

Ran out of steel, so need some angle iron to finish the rear half of the tray/slider.

Face of the ramp will sit flush with frame of trailer and be held in place with a spring bolt

This also adds a bunch of rigidity to the front end, more screw down points for the deck as well

Not quite enough room behind the Fender and between the "foot" of the end, so it was either here or out the front.

Might get an under tray storage for tie downs in the rear to balance it out yet

IMG_20220106_202847_edit_1288327167713311.jpg

Had to add some extra loom for these reflectors that also have running lights and brake lights in them

IMG_20220106_202909_edit_1288698879050754.thumb.jpg.6968e82cb824d828597524ad30b29ec7.jpg

Oh yeah I have also put some bright galv over the black zinc. Looks good. Didn't think it was worth cleaning my guns or using any of the good paint I have, so it gets this. Touch ups will be easy anyways

• Like 3

Dont put the ramps out the side, I borrow a car trailer that has a ramp under each side and it kills me everytime I reverse up a driveway and I cant get the ramps out because of a fence or a car. 2.4m wide trailer plus 800mm long ramps means you end up needing 4m of clear space. 

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

Had to dig a hole underneath where I stashed this. So pulled it out and put it next to shed. Took ages for some stuff I bought for it to arrive, so it got the tangelo tree treatment. 

Ended up cutting the front bar off and replacing that, then I finished the ramp storage, and welded on some of the scaffold tiedowns

IMG_20221207_191234_edit_756238095642939.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_20221207_191252_edit_756248633371062.thumb.jpg.064de17d88b8b769d9758e582cd6990c.jpg

Was going to fill that front bit in to make it angled, so layed heaps of bird shit on it it

Need to

Attach some spring latches/pins to hold the ramps in.  Top coat with bright zinc, new pin for the tilt, waxoyl the frame, put deck on, also have some new wheel studs I may put in

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20221216_135337_edit_166486836061574.thumb.jpg.6bfd5faf49b2cf329e16aae6e3c94d08.jpg

I think this is going to be a very useful trailer setup. 2 flip up wheel chocks, and plenty of tie down points, tread plate up the middle because I had just enough, and had run out of left over wood. 

I really want a wheel chock in the middle for transporting a single bike, particularly heavy bikes, but the frame does not allow one of those flip up ones. I might set a solid one up with some axle u bolts to go around the frame backbone. (there's a drawbar mounted one sort of visible there that I got cheap so may use that) but want it fairly easy to remove or otherwise not in the way. 

Have some steel angle to go round the edges, and if it ever dries out I will bedliner the deck

• Like 8