Tortrons bike trailer

tortron

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

made some excessively heavy mudguards, but oh well, thats what was in the scrap pile, plus if you make somehting out of treadplate it encourages people to stand on it

rG7OjeS.jpg

circular saw works great, makes tons of swarf which is great for the lawn

dH0HaBA.jpg

OHzbhOw.jpg

hsUuqzw.jpg

0RQ9ukT.jpg

banged some seam sealer between the angle and alloy to discourage corrosion, and then zinged some rivets through both to totally negate that

got to cut the remnants of the old brackets off, then it will mount flush to the frame, a little higher than it shows now. should be enough clearance to totally bottom out the springs

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Scratch those guards, I got some steel tandem guards for $20, cut them down and used the offcut to double up the top section. A bit lighter which is better for this trailer

Had some boards left over from the house, so those will make the deck, not quite enough, so will rip down that good bit of ply and then cover that with remaining tread plate on the strips where the bikes will go

IMG_20211223_093718_edit_554854513133564.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20220102_175756_edit_1068786379978061.thumb.jpg.9fcc40a7360e06f2a5e3528a7e62d671.jpg

Also stripped the paint off. Zinc paint doesn't really work if it's on top of 5 previous layers. The old green stuff was probably lead tho, so should have kept that. 

Made that bar to hook some angle. Iron over to attach ramps. Proba ly made it too low cos I forgot about the thickness of the deck till after it was on lol. But the ramp probably wants some framing so it doesn't be d, so it probably works out

• Like 2

IMG_20220103_130851_edit_1112581112832316.thumb.jpg.41593ed2ca01ee01b10db8d0d68b31e6.jpg

I'm want to add reenforcing to them, but then again I can lift the trailer by each guard, so it's probably fine

A keen eye will notice that the trailer is actually warped in every direction and bananad in as many. Axle is lined up with the drawbar tho so it's gone. The deck might help straighten that back out 

• Like 1

It's on a lot of an angle

IMG_20220105_095518_edit_1210229103578874.thumb.jpg.730c8218f24385a9a830ec23db22f9e8.jpg

Utes tow bar is lowered to fit under the 2nd gen tray. Will be better with the original tray and bar on it. It's about 340mm to centre of ball as is, explorer is more like 440 and sits nice

Not much I can do about using it with the wingroad, unless I put 13s on it, but I'm pretty sure it's brit 5" 5 stud so not much options there.  maybe some yank stuff we dont have here anyways

Gona put a bar on the rav this week, will see where that ends up 

Anyway that came up because I'm measuring for ramps 

On tilt I can use 2 x 550mm long ramps and load a bike or a 4 Wheeler or ride on

But if I want to load 2 bikes, then using the tilt becomes a bit tricky, but I can use a single 1.1m long ramp 

550x2 =1.1m.    Funny how that works out. (unless I lower the trailer on 13s)

*chucked the wingroad towbar on and its actually higher than the utes, so height might be ok. if need be i will cut the drawbar off and space it lower, theres no structure int he trailer so no worries

Figured out all my problems

Can get a 50mm drop if needed by mounting the coupling to the underside of the drawbar

Measured some stuff

Mounted the lights

Made 1 ramp, have exhausted my scrap steel, so need to get some angle iron for that, and to go around all the wooden edges. 

Think I will mount the ramps so they slide out from under the deck on one of the sides

That centre section of tread plate could in theory be detachable and make 1 long ramp, but I think I'm gona try just the short ones and tilt and see how much of a pain loading 2 bikes is before making a long one

Otherwise I will make it winch tilt

IMG_20220105_190647_edit_1224613999660533.jpg

• Like 7