Dean's (deankdx) 1981 Holden Gemini wagon on a budget (Melbourne Australia) 2litre G200z upgraded

deankdx

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deankdx

Top Posters In This Topic

11 September 2018

well, been struggling for motivation to do the gearbox job(swap with a spare), had a Queensland holiday and came back to the daily struggle of life. 

i decided i'd drain the oil of the gearbox i bought ages ago, can't remember what i paid, think it was $250 with a 2 litre engine suit reco and some other junk thrown in. 

i was told this box worked perfect, so i'll be surprised after seeing the OIL? come out of it. more like petrol in consistency and black as sump oil.(diesel sump oil) 

i bought it off Corey.. no, you don't know him.. i'm just wondering if all Coreys are dodgy?

i also drained the oil from the gearbox in the car, does contain CHUNKS of metal. small chunks though.. not sure on how rooted it is, i may dismantle it  one day 

also when i got the other head reconditioned, i gave him all the rocker gear in the rocker cover(so he could check wear on shafts etc) he decided to wash the rocker cover in the fancy stuff they clean the heads in.. so it came back with no paint(was a tidy black original..) 

i did like the red one in the car, even as crusty as it is, the red looked correct in there. so i decided to paint this one in gloss red also. came up nice(even with runs) i etch primed it first, then painted it gloss red acrylic. should do fine. 

vwRAFkv.jpg

l2WV4Wf.jpg

here's the "SETTLED" oil/water mix from overnight.. 

oil floats on water, i suspected this would be the result. looks clean in the way of debris though. (floaties weren't there till i moved it for a better photo)

send it.. will still flush it though with not so old engine oil

A38anHZ.jpg

video of the box and oil from the "good spare" 

12 September 2018

eventually began gearbox removal.. half way through i was asking myself why i didn't pay someone.. then i remembered i don't have any money.. so continued(plus i don't trust anyone to work on My cars)

i keep forgetting to WASH THE ENGINE/GEARBOX etc while the car drives.. had grease up to My arm pits again, put My hair in an oil patch also anyway.. 

at least i remembered to keep the carpet and underlay off cuts for laying on.. comfy. 

tail shaft removal, same as a falcon pretty much 

YoFulRi.jpg

dKpsyu9.jpg

when i bought some gemini parts and diff recently the guy gave me "the other half" of the tailshaft he cut in half to remove(because he lost the 12mm spanner). i shortened it as an oil leak stopper, because even though i drained the oil, it was still dripping out a bit

(if you are noticing safety glasses, it's because i had stuff dug out of My eyes twice now.. safety squint not effective)

7PejJ5eg.jpg

12 September 2018

got all the bolts out except the 4 in the gearbox cross member, 
had to go buy a 14mm ring spanner and a ratchet ring for the bell housing bolts up the top.. no room for ratchet(motor was fitted with gearbox attached last time)

next job, box out.. and reversal of the removal process.

5FZvbYG.jpg

19 September 2018

well, decided today was as good a day as any to wrestle the gearbox out.. 

did something SMART i didn't do the other day. get a tape measure and measure how high the bell housing is.. so it would fit out from under the car.... then proceeded to raise the stands one more hole to allow clearance..

got under the car, undid the cross member, and lowered the box out no issues.. 

swapped a few things over, shifter housing because it looked less "leaky" , swapped reverse light switch. swapped clutch fork and thrust race, cleaned the input shaft where it goes into spigot bush. 

dragged it under the car, and layed next to it, sort of crocodile rolled it onto My chest and began trying to stab the fucker into the clutch.. BASTARD! forgot to put it in gear.. 

ended up propping it up with a bit of wood i had at hand so i wouldn't need to get under it again.. got inside the car, fitted the gearstick and put it n a gear(any) and thought.. hmm.. tie a rope around the gearbox and it can't fall town at the back end.. sorted.. see pic for that trick.

while trying to get the box lined up i used screwdrivers at hand to locate the bell housing to engine, these surprisingly just let the box slide off ... hmm, get some longer bolts with nuts on.. they were used to locate it and then wiggle it into the splines of the clutch easily.. done.. chuck some correct bolts in.. do cross member up and take a rest break.. because i was getting HANGRY(angry because hungry) .. and that's probably all it will get to today. 

EAaJXu0.jpg

ZFN5Dlt.jpg

TfXo9Eh.jpg

21 September 2018

The rear main ISN'T leaking.. it is the front of the gearbox i just removed that was leaking.. that kind of explains a few things(also the fact that i vaguely remember the box had no oil in it when i got the wreck) 

i didn't touch the car today, so the gearbox is still only barely fitted.. should get to it tomorrow, nicer weather i believe also (for laying on concrete) 

Woo! i can drive it again, Doh it whines(turns the radio up WOO!) 

decided putting the EGR pipe back on was easier than removing it.. 

SEZdA6A.jpg

5FMOiGk.jpg

whines in all gears except 4th.. going to live with it for now.. ideally it will come out at some stage with the engine when i fit the worked engine. 

i tipped 1 litre of oil and and pretty much drained it instantly .. i'll change this fresh oil soon. maybe before the next drive even, may add a nulon additive or even some gear oil mixed in possibly. 

i had google, looks like this gearbox is on borrowed time.. and the other that whined in 5th i'd not trust either.. 

i have a 4 speed i'll be fitting with the worked engine (or this engine if this box gets worse?)

not sure if i have the skills to tear down a gearbox.. i barely know the name of half the parts inside them(read the gregorys manual on gearbox. lost me a few times with names of things)

after reading 5 or 6 googled results, it's bearings knackered causing the gears to be out of mesh slightly.. some people have just changed the oil and hoped for the best until it gets worse.. which is what i'll do for now(adding a nulon goop because i bought one anyway) because i need the car to be able to drive. 

8 October 2018

well, i added a full tube of this stuff, it has made the 1,2,3 gears quieter but they still whine, much less though(4th wasn't whiny) 5th is still noisy.

found the CLUNK CLANG is still there (or there AGAIN) i think it could be in the diff or torque tube(like a second part of the tailshaft mounted to the diff) 

might remove the torque tube and have a look, easier than changing a whole diff(needs changing at some point still)

G70.jpg

cZ1jkji.jpg

18 October 2018

decided to meet a mate of mine at Pick a Part today(kilsyth) just a half way point for both of us. 

while doing the usual random walk around,  

i sold the 2.5" exhaust yesterday, so had some money on Me.. and walked passed a rodeo that someone had pulled the head off..

what's that got to do with a gemini? 

well, i'd been eyeing off the efi manifold from one for a while but working on one in the car to remove it looked too painful. so ..

here's a correct type(round throttle body, instead of the dual one with oval throttle body) with all the crap still attached.. 

wandered up to the price list.. manifold $30.. thermostat housing $6($14 with temp sender) no mention of throttle body or injectors or tps etc.. thought bugger it, i'll go ask.

so wandered up without it and said, whats the price of a complete one, i'm not carrying it up here if it's not worth it.. looks up list..says $30 if you like. SOLD..

few options available now.. EFi petrol.. efi injected lpg, gas research, impco or even the bbq gas ring type.. 

I'll bolt it on the spare head (to find all the bolts it's missing lost in the engine bay etc. )

not sure the accel cable will reach but that's another part of the next instalment.. i'll add some more photos later when i can get the other head out. 

5ejmk2P.jpg

IXXdQHG.jpg

• Like 1

19 October 2018

had a bit of a muck around this arvo on the manifold. 

had some all thread the same pitch as the rodeo studs(gone due to head being sold from the wreck) cut to length ground the ends so you don't cut yourself or gak the threads.

basically just had a look to see what i'm up against. 

only thing i can see that needs addressing is a water port at the back that needs either welding(unlikely) tapping and a bung (likely) or drilling perfectly for a welsh plug.. oh.. or welding a plate onto the manifold that covers it(doubtful)

i'll have a look at the coolant pipes path next time and also a few of the vac hoses etc. but i think it will be an easy fit.. ports match the gemini intake gasket perfectly.. i found that surprising since the engine is a full 1000cc bigger. 

V68OjzX.jpg

vNWR9JB.jpg

069Qwqo.jpg

KHrBsBP.jpg

4 November 2018

because i'm stupid?  or just desperate for a cheap 5 speed.. 

i bought this, asked if it was a  4 or 5 speed, they said 5 speed, supposedly fine.....that's what they were told when they bought it.. comes with all the bolt on parts for engine also.

i figured worth the gamble, as the only part i don't have for a complete spare setup was a clutch(new around $130). so as a "drop in spare running engine"(maybe for the diesel car, i now have enough bits to make a stock 1600 fit into anything.. even an unfinished project coupe which is on the wish list.(often have no motor and box because pipe dreams are hard to complete if you are on a crack pipe?) 

the gear stick is stuck solid in whatever position it is.. i am betting(hoping) someone removed it with the box in gear then tried to refit it and didn't use a screwdriver to select neutral to refit the stick.. that's what i'm going to find out first after i have coffee number 4.. 

i had a hope i'd score some useful stuff in the deal incase the box is dead? and looking at the head casting it's another Big Valve Big port.. so that's good to have also.

comes with a air cleaner i aim to butcher for another project also(might be falcon weber with lpg mixer inside it even yet?  ) 

spare alternator, and stock carby always seem to be handy also. i hope the dizzy is there, haven't checked yet. 

really only interested in the gearbox at this stage.

i'll consider FIRING IT UP soon. 

hz4sUyC.jpg

FpyeyW9.jpg

13 head casting means another big port big valve head.. 

IOeH5TU.jpg

4 November 2018

the below story annoyed Me today.. i could have spent the day working on My broken car.. 
at least this gearbox being worth practically zero means i can pull it apart to see what it's like and if i feel confident fixing a 5 speed. 

sent this message earlier... "HI, hoping you wouldn't mind giving back half the $100 i paid for the junk i bought today. For one the gear box is a 4speed and second its probably stuffed was half mixed with water and rusty inside. I haven't checked the engine but I only bought it for the gearbox being a 5speed and said to be all good"
(they were moving out today and wanted it gone asap also) (MESSAGE Been Seen... No Reply naturally...not expecting one to be honest.)

these are the photos.. 

DZ1YDaX.jpg

J210Q33.jpg

NCVa75m.jpg

• Sad 1

5 November 2018

providing the head is good, it would be worth the $100 alone i think. cant really tell without taking it off the engine, and that makes it a non runner.. (assuming it would run)
i'll check it over next episode of doing stuff not related to fixing the car.. 

it has "150 ALL" written on rocker cover.. i assume this is compression, if i check it and it's same, i'll assume the head is fine. 

has dizzy, starter and alternator and clutch.. all things i'd like to have spare .. with this engine i'd have enough bits for 2 complete spare engines.. i wondered if i could swap one or a decent gear box

24 November 2018

haven't looked at the engine yet.. it's on the list. 

did drive it a bit and have decided this 5 speed is going to be sacrificed (not changing it unless it goes bang.) can't be bothered changing it to a 4 speed that i suspect is good(that one i got for free) 

something that's annoyed me since i lowered this car is bump steer.  

i'd been asking about a fix for a while, there's probably a slight ability to raise the steering rack a bit(bit of mucking around) and i just came across a post where someone caused similar by lowering their steering rack to fit the 2.6 rodeo engine in.  pics to follow.

this is the standard steering angle of the diesel gemini at standard height

AckDKXa.jpg

this is superlow springs in the wagon

dZ8T6io.jpg

24 November 2018

This is a post i came across today on facebook, i screen printed the text.. probably should have copy/pasted it to add notes as i need to?

VKOtQTk.jpg

pic of his angles before and after

Wklioiy.jpg

Parts Needed

rnkAkXe.jpg

and fitted
these needed 15" wheels to clear, but i suspect i can get away with less spacing and keep the 14s or maybe still fit the 13s with even less? and adjust the rack height?

either that or one day i'll raise the car to LOWS .

2Xg8beA.jpg

• Like 1

2 December 2018

get the other $100 engine (rusty 4 speed purchase) out of the van

so.. how do you get a long gemini engine out of a mazda van?(without a crane or chain block)

last time i walked the engine out on a stack of wheels, but this one i wanted on My engine stand, i plan to assemble it again, run it and then pull the head off (big port big valve one again for My wagons stock 2 litre)

anyway.. i guessed by the time i hook up the stand cradle to the back of the engine it would be similar height to the stand frame.. was close, i just had to raise the engine on some bits of wood.

TIn0te5.jpg

cqlQJrS.jpg

figuring the engine on the stand could be a bit sketchy with my spaced out bolts(to clear the flywheel and clutch dowels even) i thought i'd make a stabilizer leg, out of a gemini panhard rod 
(hard to see in pic maybe, but that is a spare wheel bolt off something with the same thread as the alternator bracket.. served as a big washer also)

RyhU3IW.jpg

7 December 2018

there was a meet that was half way between Dave's and My place, at the regular kebab joint. so i figured i'd make the drive there in the wagon via the back way(80kmh less risk of the gearbox breaking perhaps on the freeway?)

good turn out, better than a lot of ford falcon meets i'd been to in the past. my car was the worst presented(i didn't even wash or vac it, but it had a lot of interest still, and offers of a gearbox. for money that i don't have.. another story to follow regarding gearboxes...)

these are just pics i sent via facebook so quality is a bit crap(i may get them from My phone and resize/crop them better later)

all cars had interesting storeys, the ferrari/fiat looking thing was designed by the same dude as ferrari/fiat etc, but it's an Isusu something haha, i didn't spend enough time learning about it, but it's one of 9 in Oz, 6 were brought in by holden and crushed apparently (no idea why)
it runs the twin cam isuzu engine, has power steering even and basically a gemini under that. . 

the CDT is genuine series 3 with turbo system designed by the same mob who did the sigma and falcon and holden draw through turbo setups, has a hobbs switch(5 psi pressure switch) that turns on water/methanol for intercooling into the carby. scheel look Viking seats as factory

the coupe had rare CDT series 2 intake setup 45mm webers, 

couple of the FWD RB gemini's both grandma cars one has air con and elec mirrors being SL/E version, the white one is SL/X 

got there early because i got the time wrong, but were playing fix Dave's hoist in the stinking hot sun prior so was good timing to come back to later. not sure if the issue was an O ring or just low on oil but it seems fixed now.

yAO4Wj5.jpg

KNZlikm.jpg

9GAMLQW.jpg

not the best angle for the manifold, but it's similar to the grand prix falcon turbo setup

sCB80Qb.jpg

15 December 2018

on todays episode of car parts for nothing and a fuel bill to offset any gain.... 

Grab a beverage for this one. big adventure story.. or look at the pretty pictures and make your own interpretation?

a couple of weeks back i picked up a stuffed gemini head for Free of a generous person just saving something from ending up in the tip.. it could be repaired, but probably not worth it.( i'll use it to experiment on for efi manifold bung etc) also with it came some engine bay loom that's always handy for long runs of coloured wires.

i was telling this bloke i had a diesel gemini also, and needed a gearbox..(i seem to be telling anyone who'll listen i need a gearbox pretty much...)

He replied, i know a bloke that had a few diesels and still has bits laying around you can probably have for Free.. DID HE MENTION FREE? Woo! My favourite price.

so, i got onto John, the 60ish year old truck driver who daily drove diesel geminis until he ended up with an old 300D diesel merc (probably because gemini's became extinct? i forgot to ask him) lived in an old town 90 minutes from My place aka bumfuck nowhere.. 

had a chat to him to see what he's got, and he says, there's a roll out front end with engine and box on it been under cover for years and a rooted diff(been in the rain) .. now in the way. (been in the way for years..) 

i didn't feel it was polite to take photos of the place,  but i did snap a photo of the crusty 4x4 deutz tractor that had a makeshift boom attached that lifted the engine,box and cross member with wheels attached on one chain looped through the cross member. 

Seeing My mate with ute,  usually doesn't mind a cruise and was due to catch up and help Me out, we headed up in the XH ute and trailer, got rained on a bit while the archaeology dig was under way(had a tarp on it tied on with rope and ivy vine growing through things also.. brought a bunch of tools i didn't need, but planned ahead but didn't expect to be there that long.. was lots of junk in the way, and junk in the shed with other gemini parts. 

i'd been missing a brake spring for the spare diff i had, a blue one. and sure enough in the dirt, Mark finds one for Me HA!. gold. i will now have complete diesel brakes spare. (wanted this option for the diesel diff into wagon if the one i got is ok?)

after he loaded the engine assy into the 6x4 trailer, and a rubbish mower that was going to the tip(because i wanted to play with a redback infested  chinese Honda Copy mower)  and some other things lost in the shed, 2 sets of hub caps, and some other bits(spare starter maybe?)  2 sump guards(i call them drip trays) 

then he said, oh, there's some other bits over at the "other yard" .. what is this other yard? just an industrial block with various wrecks scattered around for spares for his merc and stuff. got some later model TG headlights and grille and radiator that is specific to diesel, but can be used in petrol, slightly wider/bigger capacity. could be handy later if i can justify a recore but it was fine before it was removed, definitely on it's last legs fins wise though.

so, 90 min drive back to My place to unload most of it, and Mark is taking the engine assy to store for now/ learn a bit about diesels if i can find enough bits to complete it. (missing fuel pipes, rockers, rocker shaft.. stuff i may have here.) 
it had broken a head bolt and blew the head gasket, was driven gently home and was going to be repaired but ended up finding another engine to plonk in. his car from another wreck. (that got written off and scrapped just before he bought the mercedes 300d)

pic doesn't really show the boom properly, but it's just a big chunk of chanel iron wedged in with a chain keeping it from tipping out. 

AbOZzSA.jpg

f2IlGgt.jpg

CzEhAiS.jpg

• Like 1

24 March 2019

nothing happened for a long time, got busy with life and stuff.

sold some excess parts to raise some money and make some space

i don't remember when/if i mentioned throttle body injection in this thread.. on the standard manifold.. 

but someone turned up to buy some bits off Me with the 2 barrel Holley Sniper 

5Mvep5Y.jpg

didn't think about the clearance it might need to the master cylinder, wonder if spacing up the manifold adaptor plate area would mean it could fit with standard reservoir? i have a remote reservoir on the diesel gemini anyway

HbxUXvQ.jpg?1

said He is going to blow through turbo it and wanted it easily reversible to stock if need be. and is planning to take it to Calder park as it is to see what it runs.

the inlet manifold has been ported, and holley adaptor welded to the manifold. 
he got it running last night and drove it 50km each way to My place (bought some hub caps off me for the sleeper look)

i think i'd choose the EFI manifold, it's got to be better for flow and probably make more torque due to the runner design, but it's cool and i could make it fit under a stock air cleaner if needed. (would be interesting running boost into a stock air cleaner  for stealth)