Toyota (4AGE) Alternator Options

Sambo

Hi Team,

I just went to fit an aftermarket alternator pulley to the alternator that's on the smallport in my AE85. The shaft on the alternator is a fair bit larger than the hole available in the pulley, and I'm guessing that it's had some other alternator put in. The shaft diameter on the alt is roughly 16.8mm, the factory style pulley I have is ~14.8mm. The alt I have has slotted into the factory AE86 brackets, but may be slightly larger diameter overall, as the top fouls on the top water neck. Interestingly/annoyingly, the pulley set I was sold second hand as an AE86 set (I have less faith in this than Flos.ie) fitted this alt, but with a different outer diameter.

Does anyone know what other alternators are likely to fit in? Looking to expand the search to try and find something second hand and/or quickly. I'd prefer a factory type solution for part finding in the future. Fucking over this, and it's preventing me solving another problem.

I'm reluctant to try making the hole in the pulley bigger, I don't want to make it off centre or on the piss on a part doing thousands of RPMs.

Just use a factory 4age one?  they are all pretty much the same and will be the smaller shaft you speak of.   the later stuff 20v and the likes have different plug. not round like the older ones.    probably find one of the ones @xsspeed has will fit also. they pretty lego 

• Like 1

Cool, that's good to know. I wasn't sure if there was actually a difference between fwd/rwd, bigport/smallport etc.

I've also read a few snippets from 10 year old forum posts etc that 7m alternators will fit with a few more amps, but I really want something concrete that I can buy and sort the problem this week.

48 minutes ago, Sambo said:

I've also read a few snippets from 10 year old forum posts etc that 7m alternators will fit with a few more amps, but I really want something concrete that I can buy and sort the problem this week.

I put a 7m alternator on a (fwd) 3sfe so there might be something to that rumor

• Like 1