LG's BSA Dandy scooters

Lord Gruntfuttock

Pretty easy to get at with the engine out. Which is the issue, you have to take the bloody engine out... :scratch:

So plans...
Looked at wheel options, I like to start with these so I have a rolling frame I can play with, plus I have to work out swingarm mods/fabrication etc. I have a few Dandy hubs and rims in my stash, but everything on these is an oddball size. The 15 inch rims really limit my options, and the 4" x 3/4" brake pads (101 x 22mm) are impossible to find, plus the hubs have bicycle style cup and cone bearings. I could live with that, but I'm missing one cone, and some of the others are pitted... 
QSLYkK3.jpg

ELN8yn8.jpg

Hubs:
The front and rears are the same, but the rear has a dished sprocket riveted on and a longer axle. Knocked out the loose ball bearing cups which are in good nick, and they measure 1.5 inch diameter (38.1mm). Thought easy, just look for a 1.50" OD roller bearing, around 3/8" thick, but (naturally) they are pretty much unavailable, unless you want to pay US$50 each (nope). 
jSXTJo2.jpg

ITPP4Vb.jpg

gTS8GH4.jpg

j6uhtzT.jpg

Looked at machining out the bearing housing to accept a 40mm bearing but no meat there. Then looked at axle options as a starting point, Ali offer a 10mm axle and 10x30x9 bearings are cheap (6200 ZZ) so bought 4 of these and will machine a spacer with 30mmID and 38.1mm OD. Should be able to fit a sprocket and spacer somehow too, using the mighty Myford...

Rims:
I looked at rim/tyre options with a tyre size calculator, and can do a 14" rim with taller rubber that is near as dammit same size as the originals, which I need as I want to keep the 50's styled valenced rear guard. Some 32 hole 14" rims were availble cheap on Ali so bought them, and they arrived in a week or so, and look good. Not exactly the right width (only 1.40") but will work, just, with the 90/90-14 scooter tyres I bought...SiFajJI.jpg

Spokes:
did some calcs once the rims arrived, ERD looks to be around 338mm, so with 130mm dia hub flanges 65mm apart and a 2 cross pattern, comes to ~133.4mm. Ali offers 10G (3.2mm) stainless spokes at 134mm for a reasonable price, so ordered...

Power:
looked at my spare CT110 engine but way too big, so I've already bought a scooter motor, a suzuki FR50 with carb, that was on tardme at a suitable price and seemed smaller than many others. Not sure how I'll actually fit this but nice to have something to measure up.
pX01jKH.jpg

Electric option, seriously looked at hub motors, as I've already done an old BSA pushbike with a front tugger hub, but concerned about gearing/top speed with scooter sized tyres. Went with a 48V 2000W chain drive motor kit, that I  should be able to line up ok, and gives me sprocket options...
iYrLBI0.jpg

Arrived in 10 days so parts stash is growing, just a few problems to solve...

Does anyone offer custom brake shoe relining for oddball moped sized things?

• Like 3

Actual work:
Threw a couple of hubs in my blast cabinet yesterday, I hadn't used this for ages as my old hobby compressor was too teeny to work, but I had high hopes for my new bigger, belt drive job...
uQHfoLB.jpg

But nope, still not enough air to work properly, even tried converting gun to a funnel filled, gravity feed system, with no real joy. Also tried fitting my pressure tank blast system nozzle into the cabinet, which sort of worked, but only in bursts if you kept turning the air off to build pressure. In the end I connected both compressors via a tee fitting and struggled away ineffectively knocking old paint and rust off...
 QMzMYVP.jpg

And drilled out the rivets of the rear hub as I wouldn't be using this sprocket...
pgqVgl5.jpg

Then thought buggrit, and made a jig up to clean up the hubs in the lathe with emery paper, which went much faster...
8ifud3F.jpg

GFDbUDT.jpg

And when both were done I hit them with some durepox. Sadly my white stuff had turned to rubber in the can, which sucks as it's expensive, but I had a new can of light grey...
8tsGYvE.jpg

PLz74UZ.jpg

So good to get something done. Now to look at the fun stuff, lacing wheels and inexpertly machining something... :)

• Like 3

The 1 1/2 inch bearing problem is common on AMC hubs too - as is the cup and cones....

I machined a piece of thickwall tube to press in with the ends bored for 35mmOD sealed ballraces. From there it's stepped spacers to suit your axles and wheel location etc.

Points....Some years back I had a good long look at what was available for retro fitting to garden machinery. There are magnetic switches in very small sizes available for the likes of Briggs and Stratton flywheel mags. Start with the aftermarket catalogues, I'm sure there's something there which will improve the OE setup immensely.

But jeeze, you're a glutton for punishment....

• Thanks 1

So I did a near perfect couple of coats of wheel paint over the epoxy, apart from a teeny blemish on each wheel, that I thought a quick sand and recoat would fix. Unfortunately I ignored the 'wait 7 days before recoating' instructions and ended up with a terrific wrinkle finish (prob a reaction to the wax and grease remover I rubbed them down with after a light sand). Stupid impatience got me again...
AeK3DbQ.jpg

So after a week sanded them smooth and sprayed again. Came out pretty sweet, added a couple of coats of clear after 30 minutes, as per instructions. Not obvious here but is actually a nice metallic Aluminium finish...
6NcLdqR.jpg

And the spokes arrived from Ali, look really good, and dimensions are spot on 134mm...
cf7WyR8.jpg

So got everything to lace up some sweet new wheels now, while I sort the bearing issue...
37BJVaY.jpg

sFoGxRT.jpg

Unfortunately the spokes are larger than original, so I need to drill out the hubs, wish I'd known that before I painted them (twice)... :)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...

I looked at them today funnily enough. Only while I was shifting shit in the shed.

I laced up the wheels but the spokes are slightly too long so I've got to shorten them a few mm. Think that's where I parked things.

Busy with the ironhead atm, and under orders from kids to get their minibikes going, but still planning to work on these...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the price of nostalga can be quite expensive, especially when in this case the other person wouldn't stop bidding against me. But I won in the end. And the reason why I was silly, well I used to own the red one 50 years ago. Evidently lessons of ownership forgotten so long ago are soon to be relived. Stay tuned for a full on restoration report with no expense spared, and a detailed hard line road test report. Surely there must be some good in my stupidity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1