Farking freeze plugs!

oldrx

My recipe for successful frost plugs.

Get the hole really clean with Emery tape.

Put blue lock tight around the outside of the plug.

Find a socket that is a loose fit inside the cup of the plug.

Tap it in. Hammer on its side if required, add socket extensions if required.

Got a picture of where you are trying to work?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valiant said:

My recipe for successful frost plugs.

Get the hole really clean with Emory tape.

Put blue lock tight around the outside of the plug.

Find a socket that is a loose fit inside the cup of the plug.

Tap it in. Hammer on its side if required, add socket extensions if required.

Got a picture of where you are trying to work?

The hole is super clean, new rotor housings, have put a generous smear of loctite pipe sealant in there and have been using socket like you describe but hammer just bounces off, if i had a lathe i would take a couple tenths of mm off of the plugs they seem way too tight. Can take photo tonight

• Like 1

I think I'd make a plate with holes drilled to suit inlet manifold threads on block, have this standing ~2"? off the flange with some long bolts, then add a threaded hole in line with where the frost plug needs to go, then put bolt with lots of thread thru this hole and a socket on the end with the frost plug, turning the block into a press... long winded way to get there, but ya gotta do it the long way somtimes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drftnmaz said:

I think I'd make a plate with holes drilled to suit inlet manifold threads on block, have this standing ~2"? off the flange with some long bolts, then add a threaded hole in line with where the frost plug needs to go, then put bolt with lots of thread thru this hole and a socket on the end with the frost plug, turning the block into a press... long winded way to get there, but ya gotta do it the long way somtimes!

Shit thats a good idea.

30 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Are you sure they're the right size? I've always found frost plugs fairly easy to install.. 

I should probably check this yeah... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mmmm not sure how they got the hole that size, bit big for 3/4 i would think possible though i guess, would be interesting to measure some 3/4 plugs if they are oversize as much as my "20mm" plugs they may be perfect, may get some and check. Mostly the trouble i think is that its a coolant port to heat inlet manifold i.e. never intended to have a plug so they didnt need to care about exacting dims. 

• Like 1