Broken car in dunedin

gettinroundtuit

I was going to say could be a clutch master/slave problem but those NZ-new povo pack GLX's have cable clutch I'm sure. Does it go into gear when the engine isn't running, but it doesn't when the engine is running? could be a problem with the clutch disc itself, perhaps exploded springs etc. The F5M21 boxes in those don't really give much trouble and if need be a replacement should be fairly cheap and easy to find - you can use a box from the next generation model if you're not coming up with many options for that gen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Not sure where you are in the south but there's a red one at ChCh pick a part - https://pickapart.co.nz/eziparts/Display_Vehicle.asp?PriceListID=0&VehicleID=172703&$Location=112105099107097112097114116099111110122&LocationID=7&VehicleDesc=Mitsubishi LB 80-89

Also now that she's done her bumping and bruising and mechanical damage on a first car maybe time to graduate to something more modern, so if (when?) there is another accident and it's more serious, it wont be in a ~33 year old tin can (especially compared to the abundance of overweight cars and dumb SUV's on the roads these days).

It's amazing how far cars have come in just the last 20-30 years alone. I had an '89 Galant GLX (even the same Glacier Blue metallic as your daughters Lancer) as my proper 'first' car in 2001. Think I picked it up for something like $800 because it had 361,000kms on the clock already by the time I got my hands on it. 12 years old and it was already considered worn out and quite outdated, but that didn't matter too much as it was meant to be a first car to be trashed and sacrificed. It survived a small frontal accident, gearbox explosion, head gasket replacement, a break in or two and my desire to keep modifying it to make it a car that it wasn't. It wasn't even the base model but still had a carburetor, crank windows, manual mirrors etc - less to go wrong I guess. I did squeeze something like 7 years and another almost 100,000kms out of it before passing to Peter/retep (who pedalled it to almost half a million kms with a replacement engine), but I couldn't help but wonder what else I could have got back then.

Anyways, my point is 20+ years on and a 12 year car (like the 2010 VW Passat I have right now as a daily driver) can be picked up for next to nothing but has airbags to oblivion, not only ABS but also brake assist/EBD/stability control and is just generally safer all round, more reliable and fuel efficient because tech has come so far in this time. They are just as disposable and being a 12 year old car you're still going to see rows of them available at your local wreckers yards so parts shouldn't be a problem.

My 2c!

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 07:27, tortron said:

In my experience, the amount of fuel you go through covers enough tax. My auto one would use 15L/100km no matter how you drove. I took it to Nelson once from CHCH, had to fill up halfway...reliable as fuck though.

As for the dented up car, unless it's a WOF fail, why even fix it, sounds like it may happen again so save the money / time.

• Like 1