Auto electrical gremlins - old bmw, surprised?

Mattt

Hi all.

My 85 728i BMW has just started to show its true colours. 

Currently the electric windows and sunroof ONLY operate with a door open. 

The heater no longer operates at all and the electric mirrors no longer operate at all.

Does anyone have any idea on where to start with this? The fuses are fine and previous threads I've found on this issue have shown the realys to function fine, however they have not posted how the issue was solved  

No you can literally push on the door sensor and they stop working As soon as you let it go windows work. I have recently pulled the struts out so I'm afraid there's an issue with the boot wiring. It does seem to be an issue with bmws from time to time. 

On most vehicles the interior courtesy lights are switched to earth, so be aware of that when you're doing your diagnostics.

i.e. when the door is open the courtesy light gets an earth which completes the circuit. I suspect your sunroof and windows are finding that same earth and are missing the earth they were designed to operate from

• Like 6

Clear your Saturday print off your ground locations and spend the day going through the car did this on my mk4 vw golf miracles were had extra features unlocked with this one painful but rewarding task.

Seriously get some sand paper and jointing compound and just go through it you'll at least be able to tick off bad earths as a fault.

• Like 1