Electric car conversion

rusty360

Not an expert sorry, but I harbour secret thoughts of electrifying my Land Rover one day… I’m not into electric conversions for their own sake, but let’s face it, some cars aren’t about the engine so electricity can make them better. (Don’t hurt me please)

• Like 5

Neat car but I think for conversions like that to become popular,  the price of ev parts will have to come down a lot. 

100kw, granted it would have heaps more torque, but a stock 4age has the same power? And it cost 30k

The fact it costs less to run isn't really that much of a plus unless you do heaps of kms, as the higher initial build cost would take forever to gain back in fuel savings on a weekend only sort of car 

• Like 7

I've been researching it for ages, but like Cletus said, until the costs come down it's a bit of a pipedream - because it is pretty much a besoke job for every car it's going to stay costly unless you can find some modularity sort of thing, then costs might come down.

For example EV West in the states do a lot of VW/Porsche repowers and released a bolt in SBC engine conversion last year. But still at the spendy end, and every car is going to need a bespoke battery set up.

Unless we just creative commons the designs...

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/02/ev-west-tesla-motor-conversion-chevy-ls-sbc-mount/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've helped complete an EV in Australia and looked into it seriously in NZ. Whilst there are a few turn key companies in NZ that will help you out, you're on a hiding to nothing trying to get anything remotely cost effective out of them for the DIYer. 

You can look at importing from AU or USA but then you'll get stung at the border for whatever they feel like charging you that day as well as no easy warranty option. 

I'm still looking at another EV conversion but doing it for a vintage tractor. I can keep the volts low and use older DC forklift technology. Plus having battery weight in a tractor is good for me. 

To do a car in NZ either you need to look at getting a written off leaf and get chopping, or for a bespoke option with decent power and range you'll be closer to 100k than 50k. 

• Like 4

On 30/09/2021 at 11:18, EpochNZ said:

Always been on the radar, especially since EV4U in Cali did a Kharmann Ghia.

image.png.eb88e3941ad5ab4e2a736e69abb64b44.png

Their conversion packs for anything VW start at 18K USD (unsure if that includes the battery but I'm picking no.)

Yellow car! Red punch buggy! 

• Like 1

Electronics Guru up the road did a 1-series BMW. My boss has a Tesla Model3 and when he asked how much the Tesla was, he said said he should have just bought one of those instead as his BMW owes him $50K.

• Like 3