Tiger Tamers 1964 Hillman Minx Project

Tiger Tamer

One side nearly done. I will just tack the top spring perch's in for now. I should have taken some photo's of the fish plates before welding them in. I will do so for the other side. There are 3mm plates each side and 3mm welded in to the under side of the original chassis rails. Boxed three sides I suppose. It would have been nice to have the holes in the plate welded in nice and pretty like some do with their tig welders, but it just wasn't going to happen with the mig.

I will make up the plates for the other side tomorrow and clean up the chassis rails ready to weld them in. I have plenty of wire, plenty of gas but a few aches and pains as well, lol.

IMG_0074 sm.jpg

IMG_0075 sm.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All pulled apart again now. Happy enough with it's stance to carry on as is. It will settle a little.

I thought I would give the vinegar bath rust removal a go and it's cleaned the rust of the lower trailing arms nicely. You need to do a bit of scrubbing which I found scotch pad good for. Then a couple of coats of POR15 to keep them protected. It's bloody good stuff when done properly. Tuff as hell.

I know with POR15 you have to be real careful not get any in the rim when you put the lid back on, BUT this is a brand new can and the first time open and I only just got it off. Luckily the wife has gone back into town so she will get me some new lids from the paint shop I got the can from.

IMG_0093 sm.jpg

IMG_0094 sm.jpg

IMG_0092 sm.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, give yourself a good kick up the butt and redo something that just wasn't right let alone aesthetic.

The firewall bugged me and it could have been welded in better. I stuffed up and didn't drop the top piece down far enough and then added to it which didn't go that well. It all started to get a bit out of shape. Fugly really.

So today the start of a new year I made a start on a new firewall.

IMG_0625sm.thumb.jpg.e57c99817009451b5dea7742d364b1b9.jpg

IMG_0095 sm.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyway. Slight F*#%$ up. I should have just tacked it in place and wrestled the diff back up in place and CHECKED the F*&%$#g thing. When I went to fit the shock in place it was in the wrong place. The diff must have moved on me when I was originally setting it up so what I thought was the correct place to weld it in was to far out to leave. It wasn't as bad to remove as I thought it would be.

IMG_0159 sm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

Some more boring old shock mount photo's. It's been a while as I ran out of gas and time but finally found the time and bought some gas so I was back into it.

I did make up another top piece, so it didn't have the added middle section. I drilled lots of holes and used bolts mainly and some clamps to sandwich it all together. Welded up the plug holes and then the bolt holes. I will weld around the edge as well both underneath and the top piece but I will only weld it in about 25mm sections 50mm apart should do.

I certainly think it is better being one piece going the width of the car. Certainly easier to get both sides the same.

IMG_0173 sm.jpg

IMG_0174 sm.jpg

• Like 9