Mattts E23 Bmw 7 Series land Yacht

Mattt

• 3 weeks later...

So i managed to get the springs compressed and back on. Not too sure how I feel. It's definitely a lot lower, but the wheels are no where near the right offset. Shouldn't have put my trust in mag and turbo. Anyway, I've ordered some 25mm spacers all around and will see how it looks when I've been for a bit of a drive and everything settled. I suspect the rears may need to be compressed a bit further. Also need some camber on the front wheels. The rear cambers not outrageous which I was afraid it would be, so that's a bonus.

20211014_200317.jpg

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

So a few updates to this since October. 

Not long after i got it i noticed that most of the intake hoses were absolutely stuffed. I ordered new ones out of Schmiedmann and when they arrived i fitted those. It helped power and economy somewhat.

After reading a complicated online tutorial on how to change the brake accumulator i decided to forget what i'd read and spent 10 mins changing the brake accumulator. Amazingly the car now has boosted brakes and the brakes work much better.

Fitted 25mm wheel spacers all around to get the wheels sitting much nicer. Long term i plan to find some 17" Autostrada Modenas and rebuild them to 18" but that will come after other things.

The car has always had a hunt at idle issue so after diagnosing a faulty idle control valve I ordered a new one from Schmiedmann in Germany before Christmas. This took much longer than normal and arrived late January. I installed it when it arrived and that improved the idle a lot. It's still a little rough at idle but it's consistent with most older bmws i've driven. It just seems to be the way these things are.

I bought some new Component speakers, a couple of amps, a Kenwood head unit and a pair of 8" subs. I built a ported box and installed it all. It's a good, clear system which isn't too loud and still keeps most of my boot space. after having it for a little while i decided that it was a bit too boomy so i screwed a bit of ply over the port and it now sounds much better. I will build a new sealed box for it in the next few weeks.

Spent some time masking and repainting the black on the lower sills. 

The car had been having a really odd fault where at 4k rpm it would fall flat on its face, do a couple of surges and then take off again. Did it everytime, in every gear. It had also been very gutless since i bought it and had weird electrical faults. When you first started the car the windows and heater would work fine, but turn it off and back on again and the heater and windows would stop working. I did a reasonable amount of hunting and cleaning of grounds then gave up and took it to the auto sparky at work with the 200 page electrical diagnostics and diagrams manual for the car and in 2 hours he had worked out that whoever had installed the push button start (presumably because the ignition is pretty stuffed) had bypassed a circuit that disengages and engages the auxiliary circuit when the car is being would over to start. I don't fully understand it, but he ran a new circuit to reinstate it and now all those odd issues have been fixed. Also, the fuel gauge has stabilised now, the trans shifts more smoothly and the car got most of the power i would expect back. 

I then hunted down a new Distributor cap and Rotor which was harder than expected to find and I fitted those. The old one was corroded and the rotor was stuck onto the distributor shaft. I wouldn't be surprised if they were original. This gave the car more power again. It now feels nearly as fast as a 1300 EE90 corolla so i'm somewhat happy with that. It's not a sports car.... yet.

I took it for a fresh WOF a couple weeks ago. It failed on windscreen wipers, No front bump stops, Light on dash for Brake pad wear and leak from fuel pump area.

I replaced windscreen wipers right away, sourced some generic strut mounted bump stops which were 86mm long, after test fitting and cutting them down they ended up 25mm long. The good thing is that the front suspension doesn't bang around when going over bumps anymore! I fitted a new fuel line between fuel filter and fuel pump. Then went for a drive and put it back up on the hoist where there was a fuel leak still. I ordered a new pump and fitted that. This time no more leak. Fuel is gold plated at the moment, so for 1/3 the price of a tank to get the pump i was glad to stop the leak. Last i ordered 2 new brake pad wear sensors and fitted those. The light was still on the dash. I grabbed the multi meter to start test the wiring but when i pulled back the sheath to check the wire colours behind the plug on the front sensor i found that one wire was quite stretchy. I cut the plug open, soldered the wire back up and heat shrinked it all. No light. Car got it's WOF yesterday, so i put the wheel spacers back on.

I have noticed the car has a fun issue where intermittently it will take a bit of turning over before it starts. Thinking it's the main relay, but i will probably throw it at the sparky again. Either way it does start, just takes a bit some times. Other times it starts immediately. That's old BMWs for you.

Right, i'll talk about the fun stuff on a new section

• Like 8

Oh Yes, i checked valve clearances. They were fine, but i found this lovely banjo bolt for the oil tube in the head just chilling next to a valve spring. Sorted some copper washers and re fitted it with some loctite.

Some photos:

20220502_164213.jpg

20220427_145339.jpg

20220427_145411.jpg

20220501_152658.jpg

20220501_165738.jpg

20220502_163953.jpg

20220502_164138.jpg

20220122_173629.jpg

20220122_173644.jpg

20220327_114744.jpg

20220327_114757.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

Mattts E23 BMW 7 Series Land Yacht?" What an exciting adventure you've embarked on, juggling projects and adding a classic to your collection. Your story is a testament to the allure of vintage cars and the love of the open road.

Firstly, it's commendable that you're investing time and effort into your "Corona" project. The decision to take it slow and do it right is a wise one, especially when operating out of a crowded garage. The anticipation of your new 4-bay workshop being built in the future must be driving you to ensure everything is perfect when it's time to dive back into that project.

However, every car enthusiast knows that it's hard to go for too long without something captivating to drive. That's where your impulse to acquire an old 7 series comes into play, and it sounds like a fantastic decision. It's not just a car; it's an experience waiting to happen.

Your connection with this particular 7 series, which you previously encountered on the motorway, adds a personal touch to the story. It's as if fate brought you two together. The fact that you reached out to the seller initially and then revisited the idea shows that the desire for this vehicle lingered in the back of your mind.  g

The negotiation process, where you offered 3/4 of what he was asking and he grudgingly accepted, adds an element of intrigue to the story. You managed to strike a deal that felt right for both parties, and that's the beauty of these transactions – they are as much about the connection between individuals as they are about the car itself.

The fresh warrant of fitness on the day you pick it up is the kind of pleasant surprise car enthusiasts dream of. It's like starting a new chapter with a vehicle that's ready to hit the road without any hiccups. The test drive, during which you must have felt the essence of this classic car, was probably the moment of truth. The 7 series, known for its luxury and performance, must have showcased its charm during this ride.

Finally, your decision to document this journey with a photo is an excellent way to capture the beginning of a new chapter in your automotive adventures. It's not just a car; it's a story in the making, and we look forward to hearing more about your experiences with your "Land Yacht."

In the world of classic cars and restoration projects, every acquisition has its own unique story, and yours is a delightful tale of seizing an opportunity, pursuing a passion, and adding a new chapter to your automotive journey. Enjoy the ride, and may your BMW 7 Series bring you many memorable moments on the road ahead.

51558001675_9e3890422c_b.jpg

a58c825cf07cf3f80c17f6bea5b5f206.jpg

lphqLb21KQNrDPdRjSrxmZ3uNZMHpXs9TK8KgS9u.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 5