Goat's 1977 Potato

Goat

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Final chapter of the brutally hard clutch saga. I replaced the clutch cable as this was the last part of the clutch system i haven't replaced.

Still hard as fuck. Yay.

image.jpeg.25050b949d65da29f18a3b27e8459121.jpeg

I have replaced:

• Clutch basket
  • Clutch plates
  • Clutch release mechanism
  • Clutch springs
  • Clutch spring spacers
  • Cable
  • Lever and bracket

Still brutally stiff. I don't know. Looks exactly the same as my other one, which has a clutch as soft as butter. I don't know. What turds.

• Sad 2

From the XL forum (my go-to)

"When you pull in the clutch lever:
The lever moves.
The cable moves in the housing.
The release ramp rotates.
The 2 large coil springs compress. (This releases pressure on the plates and now they are free to slide around disengaged.)

That is all that happens.
Clutch plates are not involved at all.
The ramp is not going to bind
This leaves the cable as the cause of your problems with the lever being hard to pull in."

• Like 1

Yeah, has the 3 ball ramp.

Ive made sure the balls are deep and there is still plenty of pull before is start to adjust it, It has perfect amount of throw, and releases properly. But its just still so firm.

Could be the new cable is a dud, the old one was pretty stiff, but clutch feels exactly the same. haha.
My ramps look steep, the replacement mechanism i got (v-twin cheapie) has way shallower ramps, but it still feels the same?

I don't know.

• 6 months later...

Nice Ironhead  did you solve the clutch issue ?, I can see that over the years its become a XLCH that started life as a XLH , and that clutch pressure plate is off an early model ? with the extra holes where small studs would of been , so you need to  check as their are three different spacer sleeve sizes for ironheads , make sure you have the correct length spacer tubes ? are the early pressure plates the same thickness? 

because seeing that early pressure plate on the 77 and reading about your clutch woes something is not adding up here , I have a 74 xlh with a  mustang tank like you brought your bike with , their not very common , quite hard to get , enjoyed your blog cheers

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 13:28, Goat said:

Final chapter of the brutally hard clutch saga. I replaced the clutch cable as this was the last part of the clutch system i haven't replaced.

Still hard as fuck. Yay.

image.jpeg.25050b949d65da29f18a3b27e8459121.jpeg

I have replaced:

• Clutch basket
  • Clutch plates
  • Clutch release mechanism
  • Clutch springs
  • Clutch spring spacers
  • Cable
  • Lever and bracket

Still brutally stiff. I don't know. Looks exactly the same as my other one, which has a clutch as soft as butter. I don't know. What turds.

I remember installing a new main spring once the two one sits inside the other , and that new spring was too strong mad the clutch hard to pull in !