J21's Sunburnt '68 Coronet Discussion

jackeo21

Yes yes yes!

If it's an OG '68 engine, it might have slightly higher compression. The later ones had piss weak compression, through a lower compression height on the pistons. (Most were 1.720 inches) which puts the slug quite far down the bore at tdc. If you pop off a rocker cover, there will be a casting number cast into the heads.  The last three digits denotes which model heads they are.  Theres a beaut how to thread in the small block forum at for A bodies only (it's a sticky thread) entitled "318 head porting for the average joe" 

The guy there got his flowing enough air to support 410hp iirc. (I havent read it for a while) 

Since you have nice headers, give the ports a tickle, fit a cam, (go for like a Comp XE262 or lunati voodoo equivalent, unless you wanna also fit a hi stall torque converter too)

A nice 4bbl manifold will also help. For a mild build I'd say an edelbrock performer, performer RPM, or if you can find one an Edelbrock LD4B/LD340. (Port matching would be required with the LD340)

Which your shifts, the fitment of a trans go TF2 shift kit is standard practise for the torqueflite. (I'd be curious as to if it's a 904, or if it got the heavier 727 cos it's such a big beast of a car?) As for your carb, a Holley 465 4bbl is a nice size for a mild build. I wouldnt go much over a 600 for a cruiser. People are shockers for over carbing their engines. A smaller carb has higher air speed through the venturis, which gives great bottom end throttle response. (I've got a 390 cfm on my 318, and it's super punchy down low)

Mopar or no car!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Yes yes yes!

If it's an OG '68 engine, it might have slightly higher compression. The later ones had piss weak compression, through a lower compression height on the pistons. (Most were 1.720 inches) which puts the slug quite far down the bore at tdc. If you pop off a rocker cover, there will be a casting number cast into the heads.  The last three digits denotes which model heads they are.  Theres a beaut how to thread in the small block forum at for A bodies only (it's a sticky thread) entitled "318 head porting for the average joe" 

The guy there got his flowing enough air to support 410hp iirc. (I havent read it for a while) 

Since you have nice headers, give the ports a tickle, fit a cam, (go for like a Comp XE262 or lunati voodoo equivalent, unless you wanna also fit a hi stall torque converter too)

A nice 4bbl manifold will also help. For a mild build I'd say an edelbrock performer, performer RPM, or if you can find one an Edelbrock LD4B/LD340. (Port matching would be required with the LD340)

Which your shifts, the fitment of a trans go TF2 shift kit is standard practise for the torqueflite. (I'd be curious as to if it's a 904, or if it got the heavier 727 cos it's such a big beast of a car?) As for your carb, a Holley 465 4bbl is a nice size for a mild build. I wouldnt go much over a 600 for a cruiser. People are shockers for over carbing their engines. A smaller carb has higher air speed through the venturis, which gives great bottom end throttle response. (I've got a 390 cfm on my 318, and it's super punchy down low)

Mopar or no car!

I really appreciate your advice!

I've currently accumulated 4 318's in various different states, and have a bunch of stock standard heads. I've actually recently sold a pair of 360 heads that the previous owner bought in anticipation of using on the 318, but my research leads me to believe that I can work wonders with some standard 318 heads, as you've stated above. My plan at this stage is to build a separate motor at some point in the coming year, and keeping this mint original motor aside as it runs really nice.

Since I decided to use the 4bbl setup that was on my Dodge pickup I couldn't be too fussy with my carb selection for the time being, so it's running a near new 625cfm Carter AFB, and it seems to like it. Just sits on an Edelbrock performer 318/360 manifold. I'd have liked to do some port work and get fussy with it, but for what it is I decided to just slam it together so I can have the car operational and ready to go for a vin (else I'd get carried away and start puling more things apart ;)). It'll do for now.

I'm the kind of foamer to want to use a Thermoquad for tiny primaries and big secondary's, and the quadrajet spec noise you get when you floor it. If I can find a fresh one on eBay I might even look at going down that road, 340's had them as standard too. I've been doing research on a Holley Street Demon, it was designed by a guy who worked at carter in the 60s and 70s, and combines aspects from the Thermoquad, Quadrajet, AFB, into an easily adjustable unit, and importantly is designed for modern fuels unlike its 50 year old counterparts. Seems interesting.

I believe it to be the 904, trans pan is a different shape to my 727 in the pickup, and the fender tag reads "5" (5 is for 3 speed auto, 6 being 3 speed auto HD). I haven't actually been able to take the car on a nice long drive, so I'll do that before I jump on any kits, but the TF2 kit you mentioned seems a good route to go down so I'll definitely be looking into that.

I'll definitely look to talk Mopar's with you in the near future. This is the only Chrysler oriented project thread I've created - I have a '70 VF valiant coupe too but seldom work on it so I hadn't bothered with a project log.

Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, j.e.d. said:

Awesome car.. well done!

what's this I read about a dodge truck.. is that thread worthy as well?

Cheers!

The truck is a recent purchase, although there is a possibility that I'll sell it within the space of a year, so I didn't want to create a short lived project log.

Here's a photo!

IMG_8681.jpg.11943f8a5a77eef4098ae80cd5ef4421.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackeo21 said:

Cheers!

The truck is a recent purchase, although there is a possibility that I'll sell it within the space of a year, so I didn't want to create a short lived project log.

Here's a photo!

IMG_8681.jpg.11943f8a5a77eef4098ae80cd5ef4421.jpg

@cletus

Sell your chev truck and buy this!

Also, 

Pics of VF coupe too please?

My old man has owned this since '81 or '82. I've run a 12.5 in it.Screenshot_20210921-162046_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6966670018c5d2479b390320a73b5dd5.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

@cletus

Sell your chev truck and buy this!

Also, 

Pics of VF coupe too please?

My old man has owned this since '81 or '82. I've run a 12.5 in it.

That's a super tidy VF. Very nice!

I inherited this one off pop back in 2008. All original slant 6, March 1970 car. Has been the family cruiser for years, going in for a WOF recheck after lockdown.

Pop bought it second hand in 1971, it spent its life down in Palmerston North for the better part of 37 years.

Column auto BW35, all standard spec with a stainless exhaust. Double bench for max cruiser. A car I will keep forever.

Excuse the govt. issue plates ;) 

IMG_7923.jpg.12c86f23b61615817bb1c43cd384ba8d.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, jackeo21 said:

That's a super tidy VF. Very nice!

I inherited this one off pop back in 2008. All original slant 6, March 1970 car. Has been the family cruiser for years, going in for a WOF recheck after lockdown.

Pop bought it second hand in 1971, it spent its life down in Palmerston North for the better part of 37 years.

Column auto BW35, all standard spec with a stainless exhaust. Double bench for max cruiser. A car I will keep forever.

Excuse the govt. issue plates ;) 

IMG_7923.jpg.12c86f23b61615817bb1c43cd384ba8d.jpg

Thats beautiful!!

Top tip, dads was a factory slant too. The top speed is a tiny bit higher with the foot just off the floor. Having the kick down not fully kicked down squeezes a few more miles per hour out of the stinky old bw35. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bistro said:

Mate, this is cool!!

And very neat that it is such a 'bare package' with only a few options and an early model as well. 

Look forward to seeing updates (but maybe not the having to sell the truck hahah)  

Such a cool feeling driving the truck, the best part is looking out over the massive bonnet and looking down on cheap economy hatchbacks. It's unique for sure.

Appreciate it! I'm aiming to keep it in basic trim, with a period set of oldschool mags to swap on for drag days and the like.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Thats beautiful!!

Top tip, dads was a factory slant too. The top speed is a tiny bit higher with the foot just off the floor. Having the kick down not fully kicked down squeezes a few more miles per hour out of the stinky old bw35. 

Cheers, love the tip, I'll remember that next time I have my foot in it haha. It's not often it sees high speed driving, but loves the open road. Treats us really well. It's keeping the slant too!

As per project thread I made this fan shroud today.

1786794080_FanShroudMounted2.jpg.a2d7c13b6192b5ddd045a1c7b8e00360.jpg

What is the general consensus on fans? My other cars use solid mounted fans, of the flexi plastic spec and steel spec. They do the trick but eventually get nice and hot if they sit and idle too long (as to probably be expected for old cars).

I notice many turn to electric these days but for the sake of an "original period look" I think I'd like to hang on to my steel bladed wind maker.

35 minutes ago, jackeo21 said:

As per project thread I made this fan shroud today.

1786794080_FanShroudMounted2.jpg.a2d7c13b6192b5ddd045a1c7b8e00360.jpg

What is the general consensus on fans? My other cars use solid mounted fans, of the flexi plastic spec and steel spec. They do the trick but eventually get nice and hot if they sit and idle too long (as to probably be expected for old cars).

I notice many turn to electric these days but for the sake of an "original period look" I think I'd like to hang on to my steel bladed wind maker.

A good mechanical fan is a much better option over electric. Im not sure on difference for cooling between clutch and no clutch. but size of fan and blade angle and how many blades is the key. some of the plastic style fans work well. as to traffic many old cast v8's get hot while idling and that's where a good push style fan can help. 

And many go to electric for the look and that mechanical fan's can take up horsepower. but same deal with electric is fan design and having a shroud. a good cfm and quality fan isn't the cheapest option either. but other things like alternator output needs to be checked before fitting good fans. 

your mopar's probably only got a 60amp alternator as normal for the era. so if fitting a good electric fan setup that would need an upgrade also.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Nice car!

Is this the radio you are talking about? 

Says Plymouth on it though  

20210921_203643.jpg

It sure is the same,

Mine is nearly identical, however I can't install it as I don't have the faceplate for the dash.

I've seen those modified to have bluetooth etc in them and thought that was pretty wild. Unique looking radios with those thumb wheels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piazzanoob said:

A good mechanical fan is a much better option over electric. Im not sure on difference for cooling between clutch and no clutch. but size of fan and blade angle and how many blades is the key. some of the plastic style fans work well. as to traffic many old cast v8's get hot while idling and that's where a good push style fan can help. 

And many go to electric for the look and that mechanical fan's can take up horsepower. but same deal with electric is fan design and having a shroud. a good cfm and quality fan isn't the cheapest option either. but other things like alternator output needs to be checked before fitting good fans. 

your mopar's probably only got a 60amp alternator as normal for the era. so if fitting a good electric fan setup that would need an upgrade also.    

Good info. I'm picking that my temps should stay low for the time being, but when the time comes for some go-fast bits, I'll assume that cooling might become an issue.

I personally prefer the look and functionality of a mechanical fan, but had always been curious about the idea of running an electric fan in front of the radiator as a "helper" for worst case situations etc

Chris Mirabito did a dyno comparison on a hemi 6 with and without the mechanical fan. It was something insane like 8-12hp!  Those arent clutched though.

The old mans '68 Fury has the same radio too iirc. The knurling on the thumb wheels matches the outside of the light and wiper knobs.

• Like 2