MOLESWORTH MOPED MELEE, 4th, 5th, 6th March 2022

RUNAMUCK

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Mof said:

Do we know which part of the road is closed?

They said upper part of the road, but yeah weren't very specific beyond that. There does seem to be a whole lot of repairs spread out, there's multiple pictures of slips and washouts.

Screenshot_20211124-063008_Chrome.jpg

RoadDropout.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pee Dubs said:

Ok so update on the road works, direct from the council infrastructure / roading department today. Unfortunately the Awatere Valley Road will be closed until late March, quite possibly into April, and no alternative route is available. So we probably need to rename this event cos getting through the Molesworth is out

Great ideas here, here is a ride I did about 12 years ago, it's ~500km total so probably not bad over 3 days, but I'd tweak it with @Pee Dubs sounds ideas.

https://www.wikiloc.com/trail-bike-trails/20091114-seven-summits-ride-89525114

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pee Dubs said:

Ok so update on the road works, direct from the council infrastructure / roading department today. Unfortunately the Awatere Valley Road will be closed until late March, quite possibly into April, and no alternative route is available. So we probably need to rename this event cos getting through the Molesworth is out

@Pee Dubs

/double post. 

Why don't we just go up Rainbow to Blenheim, Patriarch, Maungatapu, Nelson, St Arnaud, Rainbow. 

If Molesworth does happen to open then we just turn right instead of left. Accommodation all stays the same. 

Riding round the sounds bays would be pretty awesome but the logistics is tricky.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Rainbow to Blenheim which way?

Be a lame ride, but we could ride hanmer to blenheim via the kaikoura inland route? 

Are there any other tracks that would take us away from the main roads?

I imagine @Mof means to St Arnaud, then down the Wairau on the road to Blenheim?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mof said:

Why don't we just go up Rainbow to Blenheim, Patriarch, Maungatapu, Nelson, St Arnaud, Rainbow. 

If Molesworth does happen to open then we just turn right instead of left. Accommodation all stays the same. 

Riding round the sounds bays would be pretty awesome but the logistics is tricky.

So what we did last year, except up the Rainbow from Hanmer rather than up the Molesworth (up being North, not up the river valley!). This would probably be the easy option, but nothing new / that interesting.

Inland Kaikoura route still has a very large proportion of kms on SH1, and overall wouldn't be that interesting on small bikes imo.

There's no other back roads route that I know of. Most of the Nelson Lakes National Park is walking tracks only. Motorcycles and vehicles are specifically banned.

So the question is, are we tied to starting in Hanmer? Noting Rainbow is then our only option.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sidewaysickness said:

On the topic of St Arnaud accommodation, I know the owners of the Tophouse Inn and could quite possibly organize something there.

kinda famous murder/suicide happened there, still complete with bulletholes. Also its Nz's smallest pub

https://tophouse.kiwi/

I like this idea, if it's big enough for all of us... Route may dictate things though.

11 hours ago, Mof said:

Do we know which part of the road is closed?

From what I've heard and read, you can ride from Hanmer to the cobb cottage where we had lunch, but go no further. Roadworks is more at the Blenheim end, with local access only.

Could ride to cottage from Hanmer, camp the night there or back to Hanmer. Day 2 Rainbow and then there's plenty of other rides between St Arnaurd and Nelson like Mt Robert, Inwoods Lookout, Porika track, etc Stay night at St Arnaurd and go back through Rainbow.

Plenty of options to compensate for no Molesworth. There used to be a pushbike race called the Rainbow Rage, we could steal that name...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pee Dubs said:

So what we did last year, except up the Rainbow from Hanmer rather than up the Molesworth (up being North, not up the river valley!). This would probably be the easy option, but nothing new / that interesting.

Inland Kaikoura route still has a very large proportion of kms on SH1, and overall wouldn't be that interesting on small bikes imo.

There's no other back roads route that I know of. Most of the Nelson Lakes National Park is walking tracks only. Motorcycles and vehicles are specifically banned.

So the question is, are we tied to starting in Hanmer? Noting Rainbow is then our only option.

Us fullas (covid permitting) coming from Auckland liked the idea of starting from somewhere we could ride to after flying in.

We had a friendly depot in ChCh so we could ship bikes ahead of time.

ASSume there will still be vehicles coming from ChCh so we could travel to starting point with them if we can get enough seats that will be ace.

Pretty sure it will be @Tumeke @sentra @slacker.cam @peteretep

If not all good - we can look into other flights/shipping options if the start point changes to see if that's possible / affordable / not stink providing we get enough notice to book stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tumeke said:

Us fullas (covid permitting) coming from Auckland liked the idea of starting from somewhere we could ride to after flying in.

We had a friendly depot in ChCh so we could ship bikes ahead of time.

ASSume there will still be vehicles coming from ChCh so we could travel to starting point with them if we can get enough seats that will be ace.

Pretty sure it will be @Tumeke @sentra @slacker.cam @peteretep

If not all good - we can look into other flights/shipping options if the start point changes to see if that's possible / affordable / not stink providing we get enough notice to book stuff.

You still have a depot, or you're looking for one? 

It's 50/50 whether I'm riding or driving backup, if I'm driving you're all most definitely welcome to seats from chc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mof said:

You still have a depot, or you're looking for one? 

It's 50/50 whether I'm riding or driving backup, if I'm driving you're all most definitely welcome to seats from chc.

we have a depot in dirty Wainoni

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm up for whatever tbh. 

Start in Blenheim, ride to st Arnaud, do the rainbow to hanmer, camp there the night. 

Do the rainbow in reverse back to Nelson. (Reverse of day three last year)

Then the maungatapu to peloris, up the wairau/mt patriarch and back to Blenheim? 

• Like 2