MOLESWORTH MOPED MELEE, 4th, 5th, 6th March 2022

RUNAMUCK

On 07/10/2021 at 09:16, tortron said:

i think by march it will be all G for spreading small bike foam

cape might be touch and go, east coast might even put roadblocks up for non locals, cant imagine theres a high rate of vax there

Well I bloody hope not lol, booked me ferry and everything for that one already 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chunky_t said:

Went for a burn over the maungatapu track today, it’s less small bike friendly than it was the first time, very very rocky on the pelorus side. Would be all good on a CT90/110/125 but probably not on a step through lol. 

11B746D2-F080-4BEF-A1CD-D35B057D03DA.jpeg

Good

Looking forward to doing it in the landcruiser again . Yeah boi 

I aught to mend the trailer from this years ride...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 01/11/2021 at 20:42, RUNAMUCK said:

That trail was the most challanging part of last years ride.  

It's in worse condition now, shitloads of rocks everywhere on the pelorus side. Think of all the loose shit at the top of mt patriarch, a hint worse then pair that with what the trail was like last year. 

Nelson side is pretty grouse though, had lots of fun on that on the drz. helps when your front wheel isn't about to fall off and you have brakes that work hah

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this effects you fellas?

https://createsend.com/t/t-410A0EA82D5683DA2540EF23F30FEDED?fbclid=IwAR0byM8M3_9pfJMeQAs684Oyamlh0ulbyW0tHQlO_oAK_IBr8jDZZdNaW0k

Controlled/limited access to molesworth except during summer break. Not sure if you guys use this access point or not but thought it was worth the share incase. 

• Confused 1

On 16/11/2021 at 07:54, MopedNZ said:

Not sure if this effects you fellas?

https://createsend.com/t/t-410A0EA82D5683DA2540EF23F30FEDED?fbclid=IwAR0byM8M3_9pfJMeQAs684Oyamlh0ulbyW0tHQlO_oAK_IBr8jDZZdNaW0k

Controlled/limited access to molesworth except during summer break. Not sure if you guys use this access point or not but thought it was worth the share incase. 

I just spoke to an unhelpful mole on the end of the toll free number in this link.  She was taking like it's going to be closed until April. When it closes anyway..........

I need to do further research into the matter.

THEY CANT STOP US ALL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Fizzing for this! Will try not to bring a big block this time, but in my defence it was a fairly unsuitable machine for the terrain!

We may need some local info about where/when there's going to be controlled access on the Awatere Valley Road. There's only limited places where an alternate route is viable if it is closed... Keen to find a solution.

@RUNAMUCKBort, can you add an attendance list and/or sign up form?

43 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Yes,

But if the road is closed, we're pretty much fucked.

I need to do some more homework first.

Not completely. If Molesworth is closed I can recommend an alternative route that would still let us do the Rainbow + Maungatapu plus some riding in the Sounds that is sweet alternative.

I also have some local contacts that I can try to some get better info on the roadworks out of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pee Dubs said:

Not completely. If Molesworth is closed I can recommend an alternative route that would still let us do the Rainbow + Maungatapu plus some riding in the Sounds that is sweet alternative.

I also have some local contacts that I can try to some get better info on the roadworks out of.

Ah yes,

I completely forgot you're from the better island originally. 

I'll happily bow to your local knowledge.

On 17/11/2021 at 19:54, WankBankA100 said:

@anglia4 @Duke Blackwood

Is this enough harassment yet? Haha

I have just discovered this thread - amazing. Alarmingly though, I’ve done a quick google, and i suspect there’s a body of water between me and the fun? That ain’t no ford haha. I’m going to start planting the seed to try and be there for 2022. I’m somewhat reliant on @anglia4 coming to look after me as I’ve proven many times I’m otherwise incompetent. I got lost dropping the kids to school last week and my 5yo daughter had to give me directions.

8C090985-BD12-4A97-960F-E525BCFAE584.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ok so update on the road works, direct from the council infrastructure / roading department today. Unfortunately the Awatere Valley Road will be closed until late March, quite possibly into April, and no alternative route is available. So we probably need to rename this event cos getting through the Molesworth is out.

As mentioned all is not lost, there are some other good roads down The Sounds to pest, we just have to link them all together into manageable day rides. I would propose starting either in Picton, or Blenheim with a transit to Saint Arnaud.

E.g

Day 1: Picton - Port Underwood Road and Tumbledown Bay, to Rarangi, Tuamarina, Kaituna first morning. Probably a quick 5km to Renwick for lunch, then Mount Patriarch in the afternoon. This is a relatively easy first day. Return to Blenheim for overnight, repairs etc.

Day 2: To Picton then Queen Charlotte Drive through to Kenepuru Sound, then to Portage and back (if gas/time allows), through to Havelock, Pelorus, Maungatapu to Nelson. Could either stop in Nelson, or push up to Saint Arnaud for the night. Finding suitable accommodation up there will be the issue though.

Day 3: This is the most problematic day - need to factor in transit to the start of the Rainbow. Rainbow Road to Hanmer. It could finish there, but obviously most vehicles would be back in Blenheim / Picton. A solution could be to do the Rainbow in reverse back to Saint Arnaud, but this would add another day or make it a very long single day (It's straight highway, mostly downhill, all the way back to Blenheim/Picton).

Alternatively run the route backwards, but this way makes more sense to me.

So this was just what was in my head as an outline, I haven't checked distances or planned fuel stops and overnights. I suspect the Rainbow both ways would be too big for one day... Welcome any thoughts or alternative suggestions. I would be really keen to figure something out.

Cheers ears

• Thanks 1