KwS's Rover 220 Tomcat

kws

1 hour ago, Taistorm said:

With the shaft/carrier that the 5th gear needle roller bearings sit on, you can probably get it metal sprayed and spun as an easier/cheaper alternative to replacing. There's an awesome old bloke in onehunga, Auckland called Malcolm at MacLean Metalsprayers who sorts alot of similar work for us. Unsure if there's someone down the line that does similar work but worth looking into.

Not a bad idea. I believe I have a good used replacement sorted along with a replacement main shaft. You can still buy that sleeve new but it's about $90...

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2021 at 09:19, yoeddynz said:

The stainless heater pipe you need looks like something that any competent stainless fabrication shop could whip up in a jiffy for ya.

Thats what I thought too, but the one I was recommended locally hasnt come back to me and I dont know of any others here since Kaizen stopped doing awesome work to flog pre-made rubbish.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

An interesting read about a non-turbo 220 imported into the US https://www.aronline.co.uk/our-cars/richard-truett-rover-220-tomcat/

Its a gorgeous car that one, I only wish mine was half as nice.

Still waiting on the dominos to fall into place and everything to start going back together. This is the worst time of the year to try and get things done, despite having time up my sleeve to do it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DB8-TypeR said:

If it is anything at all like a Honda gearbox then the sychros will thank you for using Honda MTF. 

Otherwise Liqui Moly Top Tec MTF 5200 is apparently equally as good

The design is shared with some Honda boxes, but the Brits swear by MTF94 (which i havent been able to find a source of in NZ) but the Penrite is one of few fluids that meets the MTF94 spec. I used Honda MTF in the gearbox when I first got the car and ended up pouring a couple of hundred dollars down the deck of the flatbed. Honda MTF is also REALLY thin, much thinner than MTF94 which concerned me (MTF is like water).

• Like 1

All good, i just know that in every manual Honda ive had a fresh box of Honda MTF is like magic, especially in my old CRV that had just been serviced before i bought it with some mystery gearbox fluid and was very notchy and noisey, fresh honda MTF and it was like a brand new gearbox. 

Thread for reference 

https://nzhondas.com/topic/189765-reliable-and-accessible-alternative-found-for-honda-mtf/

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DB8-TypeR said:

All good, i just know that in every manual Honda ive had a fresh box of Honda MTF is like magic, especially in my old CRV tnat had just been serviced with some mystery gearbox fluid and was very notchy and noisey, fresh honda MTF and it was like a brand new gearbox. 

Thread for reference 

https://nzhondas.com/topic/189765-reliable-and-accessible-alternative-found-for-honda-mtf/

+1 with me and genuine fluid. 

I've also used torco and its as thin as genuine and shifted waaay nicer than the other stuff that was in the box 

• Like 2

Land Rover spec MTF-94 for their gearboxes too, I currently use ATF (as recommended by LR barrys) which oddly works really well but will be switching to the Penrite 75-90 GL4 at next change cos it then keeps it standard with all the other shed junk.

• Like 1