Kenny's First Gen Surf

bomba

21 hours ago, rb drifter said:

That brake fluid on the sprayed interior looks like it works well!  Will have to try that myself 

Yeah man, it works. You just need to let it sit for a while to work into the paint then use a scotchy to lightly scrub it off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

The interiors come up well! Does the brake fluid leave any residue on the plastic at all? Or just wash it off and away you go?

Yeah man, just let it sit for a while to work into the paint then use a scotchy to lightly scrub it off. It might take a few goes though.

It doesn't mess with the plastic as far as I've seen. Just need to scrub it off with water and you're done.

I always apply some interior spray/conditioner afterwards too.

27 minutes ago, piazzanoob said:

is the plan to swap over the running gear and bits to the gold one now? 

i somewhat think the gold one looks more honest and isn't hiding much.

always had a soft spot for these especially with the factory livery 

sweet ute for a 1kz conversion   

The gold one is real nice, no rust. Interior is real tidy too. It's a shame it was given to Pic a Part. But glad it's in my hands.

I've gone through the different scenarios in my head and the best way forward is to body swap. The white one is petrol auto and the gold was diesel manual. So would have to change over all the running gear (engine gearbox difs), fuel lines, looms and a heap of other small things.

Body swapping I'll just need to swap looms and a few other small things.

I've started the process. I'll update in the next week or so.

Cheers man

• Like 7

GOsh that gold one brings back memories. Mate had one years ago that was identical (RO280, long since dereg after he sold it). We sank it in a river once, over the bonnet, engine swallowed a bunch of water. Towed it out, pulled the saturated air filter out, fired it up and shot all the water out the exhaust in a massive jet of black water. Drove home no issues.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2021 at 18:16, Bistro said:

Bloody cool, those OG surfs are choice. The gold is spot on. Some lovely treasure in behind that windscreen!! 

Cheers man, I hear ya. Haha yeah the white one is pretty sad.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Mickey said:

Totally loving this whole project. Love these  old surfs especially with the original old graphics. I shoulda bought the yellow one that came up recently on TM

Thanks man, pretty hyped on it. The old Toyota graphics are pretty special right?!

I think I saw that yellow one on Trademe a while back. Down ion Nelson? Thats when I was looking at buying too, looked like a good truck. Good price too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Speaking of…. I saw this for sale today. It’s a V6 petrol auto. 173,000km. What are they worth?

272F34FD-E1F8-46E9-ADF9-02C5217C252D.jpeg

Damn! That’s cool! Interesting that it’s V6. I thought they only for the US market. Looks pretty tidy. In that condition they seem to be going for around $15k. FroM what I’ve seen anyway.

I’d jump on it!

Ok cool, thanks for your feedback. I’m viewing it properly tomorrow morning. I would think it would be less desirable than a diesel one when it comes to resale however if you wanted to Lexus V8 one this would be ideal. I’d rather keep it fairly original.

15 hours ago, Mickey said:

Ok cool, thanks for your feedback. I’m viewing it properly tomorrow morning. I would think it would be less desirable than a diesel one when it comes to resale however if you wanted to Lexus V8 one this would be ideal. I’d rather keep it fairly original.

Nice, good luck. Very cool looking truck!