Pretty wiring looms, tips tricks?

Muncie

Ive got 1 big loom to built for my Commodore engine harness and 2 motorcycle looms to make up very shortly whats the go these days?

Wanting a nice wrap that isn't that split corrugated junk. 

Wiring wise im open to some non mil spec connectors but reasonably priced and availability for less than a limb for my motorcycle looms and maybe ignition harness on the commy.

What have you found or recommend tools supplies consumables etc youtube videos even??

Im not going into business im just sick of ugly wiring on my projects, i do have kids coming into building projects so might as well teach them to do shit nicely.

Basically just go have a hoon on msel.co.nz 

This is probably a pretty good compromise between looks and servicability 

https://www.msel.co.nz/epages/motorsportelectronics.sf/en_NZ/?ObjectPath=/Shops/motorsportelectronics/Categories/Wiring/Heatshrink_Sleeving/Split_Braid

I can not stress enough how much of a difference it makes having a good wire stripper and set of crimping tools. 

This has a good list of cost effective tools that arent shit 

https://www.hpacademy.com/technical-articles/course-guide-motorsport-wiring-tools-and-materials-resource/

You can buy TXL wire by the roll from Waytek in the states, but you need to youpost it and then get butt chugged on shipping.

TXL is like OEM spec wire, or there abouts. Not milspec stuff but it's not trying to be. 

I dont regret having rolls of 20 gauge TXL in a variety of colours, to a lesser extent the 18 gauge which gets used a lot less frequently.

But the 16 gauge weighs heaps and is what cost me a fortune on shipping. Then hardly ever gets used.

Also being able to buy the terminals for ECU you are using and also what's used on the car makes an amazing difference. 
I'm lucky that Toyota uses the same Sumitomo terminal on just about bloody everything, so I just need a big supply of one thing. 
Mileage may vary but it's worth finding the right ones.

DTM connectors are pretty good compromise between easy to wire up, easy to repin, and not looking like total shit

• Like 5

split corrogate can look good, when its wrapped in tesa or hellerman loom tapes or just straight wrap in the cloth tape, would be worth investing in tooling to  use Deutsch connectors (basic ones are about $60) and a decent open barrel  crimper for OEM stuff Hozan p706/ p707 and a delphi weatherpack/metripack crimper work well , you can get every commodore v6 loom connector and pins new from EFI connection. com (except the ones that connect to the body).

its pretty easy to blow $$ on tooling iv got a few drawers full of differernt crimp tools but can get by with decent basics, have a look at my facebook page or my website for ideas of what looms can look like re sleeved or remade also  check out techflex.co.nz for braided sleeving the even have a wrap type braid that can look good, would suggest looking at  depinning tools for various pins can depin and slip sleeving on

I want to build nice compact looms that can maybe be tucked away a bit easier than a stock one without old crispy connections. 

Ive always managed to get stuff working but yeah no more bullet terminals time to up the quality and water resistance.

Working for Rocketlab spoiled me.....

• Like 2

got a list of a few places I frequent 

msel.co.nz

techflex.co.nz

bmotorsports.com

eficonnection.com

racespeconline.com

efihardware.com

having accounts with local auto electrical wholesalers means I can access a lot locally, but not easy to get in the door there.

also check out on facebook motorsport wiring alliance for tips and ideas, best advise practise on small thing like bikes and sub harnesses that  are easy to redo before diving had first into a whole engine loom

Braid sleeving always looks good and is quiet cost effective and easy to work with

236784860_357608076020614_8559842462091021822_n.jpg

237288794_867915873813307_7694047072189509144_n.jpg

237638229_253531706617786_840144978775341765_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

i use teflon spiral wrap in 6mm and 8mm sizes for bike looms. Usually available at electrical wholesalers here in black or clear. Biggest thing is learning to use heatshrink properly. Racebike looms are often under more tension than you'll find in a car so have to be rugged. Bonus of the spiral is being able to open it to probe with a meter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

I think oldschools very own @ProZac might have been involved with the hpacademy wiring course?

Yeah i picked up on his involvement through his build threads. Oldschool.co.nz seems to be the "Google" for car knowledge these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Muncie said:

I want to build nice compact looms that can maybe be tucked away a bit easier than a stock one without old crispy connections. 

Ive always managed to get stuff working but yeah no more bullet terminals time to up the quality and water resistance.

Working for Rocketlab spoiled me.....

You work for Rocketlab?  Guy I went to school with is VP of propulsion, lucky bugger....

Yeah oldschool threads pop up everywhere. Probably the main way new members find this forum.

My personal preference for wiring is to not use those (ugly) crimp fittings.

I buy the bulk bags of uninsulated 6.3mm spade terminals.  I then crimp and solder them and use black heatshrink over them. I just like the uniformity of the black and know that the wire will never come out. Takes a little longer but I never have any desire to rush wiring jobs because I get so much satisfaction from it.

I collect looms from any car I happen to be splitting and if i get components from the wreckers I'll take as much loom as I can. I've built up a good collection of various cable this way, in all the colours so I can often match the actual factory colour codes.

I'm keen to get some of those bulkhead din/military style fittings for the Imps next engine install - aliexpress have loads and I'm sure many are fine in use. Must order something soon actually.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Muncie said:

Signed up for a hpacademy wiring course will see how well that holds my attention after sitting through 9 hours of zoom meetings today.

This course is bloody good. Definitely immensely for me who previously hated doing any wiring. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nzstato said:

You work for Rocketlab?  Guy I went to school with is VP of propulsion, lucky bugger....

Used to work for Rocket lab, yup i know who you mean. Rocketlab didn't fit in with my "work life balance" goals at 38 i was considered fucking old.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

My personal preference for wiring is to not use those (ugly) crimp fittings.

I buy the bulk bags of uninsulated 6.3mm spade terminals.  I then crimp and solder them and use black heatshrink over them. I just like the uniformity of the black and know that the wire will never come out. Takes a little longer but I never have any desire to rush wiring jobs because I get so much satisfaction from it.

I always die inside a little when I see those red and blue crimps used on an otherwise tidy project.

• Like 5

Also invaluable is a good depinning tool

You can buy some but I've got a piece of piano wire that's sharpened at one end, with a little handle on the other and it's brilliant. 

Sometimes a bit tricky to see how plugs come apart until you've done a few 

Twisting the circuits inside looms is handy for keeping things tidy etc - Poor mans concentric twist.

I tend to use Deutsch plugs for most stuff, you can buy bulk packs if you hunt around which makes the plugs much cheaper.

16707408_437539579911047_608216860877001

20200307_200127.jpg?resize=438,438

• Like 4