Tortrons espresso CB650

tortron

One thing I just noticed is conrods 1, 2, 3 are moving freely

#4 a little less freely. For example the other 3 will flop down and rest on the case. #4 is able to stand up by itself. Can move it back and forth by hand and the engine was turning over fine with a spanner on the crank nut. Did seem to strain the battery on the starter, but I think that's due to my shit batteries as it spun fast on the jumper. Didn't make any death noises running

It's been run up more than once, so I guess I will inspect the oil in the sump and the oil filter for expensive glitter

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, valve stem seals already in the post, probably werent done whenever the head was off, imagine they are plastic now., smoke was constant, starting about 20 seconds after start up and maintaining at all rpm and temperatures

oil control rings felt a bit ho hum in terms of spring, but a ton of blowby probably got them sticky

My 400 four and 550 all were funny on #4, and smoked constantly out the exhaust,i got a spair 400 engine and #4 was full of carbon on #4, i think its from people letting them idol on the side stand and it starves that side of the engine.

Yeah I was actually thinking that being on the side stand has something to do with it as they seemed to be lowest point best, highest point worst

#3 had the most paint burnt off the newly painted headers the rest were the same

I might put an O2 bung in the exhaust but probably not one in each branch

14 minutes ago, tortron said:

Yeah I was actually thinking that being on the side stand has something to do with it as they seemed to be lowest point best, highest point worst

#3 had the most paint burnt off the newly painted headers the rest were the same

I might put an O2 bung in the exhaust but probably not one in each branch

#3 with paint burnt off will be an air leek somewhere I garentee 

4 hours ago, tortron said:

Press X to doubt, I have never had exhaust paint not instantly burn off 

Rubbers are in great cond, it wasn't wildly more burnt than the others

I meen if one cylinder is burning the paint off 1st and getting hotter,

Rubbers may look mint but if they are even remotely hard they leak, 

8 minutes ago, tortron said:

Actually there's some stuff you can soak them in that softens them up apparently 

I tried with a solvent once but they expanded 3 times the normal size, silicon will work for a bit, use to do it all the time at the bikeshop when this old stuff was on the road on its last leags 

• Haha 1

I had to get a pair for a yamaha xt600 and the genuine ones were over $300 for a pair, i got aliexpress ones for $12 a pair and they are fine, 

At the time I could not get anything for my SOHC 750 and when i got NOS ones ther were hard, 

That little lip they have on the inside that sits into the grove on the carb is realy important and i think why normal hose didnt work, 

On 11/09/2021 at 11:41, tortron said:

I used to start my morrie by popping the bonnet, holding the choke lever by hand, and pressing the in engine bay starter switch. So many crowds

I used to start my Morry van by climbing out the back door with a crank handle. (broken driver's door and starter motor)

Now THAT'S a crowd pleaser...

• Like 2