Bringing back faded plastic

tortron

IMG_20210927_165414_edit_105010231759496.thumb.jpg.72a517fbd735f9726a7f51b196aa4d64.jpg

Will add some other photos in the sun tomorrow. 

But - my experience

It smells like rotten eggs, but not once applied

Some surfaces instantly turn black. Smooth stuff like the airbox took it really well, just barely a touch on the brush was enough to bring it back to deep black

The other plastics were kind of hit and miss. Even plastics of the same kind and similar locations had slightly different results. 

This bike was real bad, faded fully to white in some areas, the indicators for example. Chalky finish. 

All I did was wash the bike with simple green, then brush the crc tyre black on. 

Soaked right into the seat cover and looks great. The inner Fender and air box, one coat. Everything else took 2 coats for good coverage, then a third to dab into the spots that didn't want to take it.  Sometimes the additional coat would lift the previous, in little bits like sand. 

Streakyness wasn't much of an issue, it seems to self level and soak in. But as I mentioned, some places did need additional coats to hide brush marks

I left it out in the sun all day,  again a bit of a mixed bag, some stuck on really well (jialing Fender is 100% soaked in and won't scratch off) some I can scratch and leave a mark. Although most of this particular bike was chalky and would do that if you touched it, so for the most part probably the substrate, although some of the less faded spots will do the same. 

It can of course be touched up easily

Did the seat by dabbing with a rolled up cloth, pretty good outcome

Clean up with water, no remaining smell. Will give it a bit and then wash the bike down and see what happens 

Interested to see what happens if I spray it out of an airbrush

• Like 3

Here's the mirrors, I did one with a map torch

Good option for some stuff, I have tried it on nissan plastic with a lower temp heat gun and it instantly took all the oil to the surface and was uncontrollable 

This one with the torch, seemed more controlable, maybe its the high heat, can just waft it over and get the job done rather than heat up the part? 

The arms of the mirrors started to do the same thing as the Nissan, but looking at them again the next day, don't seem to have any patchyness or heat damage

This was a 2 min job, I think it would come up better with a 2nd "coat" 

IMG_20210927_171447.jpg

On 16/08/2021 at 06:17, tortron said:

Do you find that it lasts a while? I have never kept anything I've put it on long enough to find out

You can wash it like an hour later and it stays on. 

You may need to reapply it shortly, but it's cumulative and lasts super well

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snoozin said:

You may need to reapply it shortly, but it's cumulative and lasts super well

My other bike has been sitting around and could do with another coat, was a little patchy after a bit of rain and a wash after I got polish on it. So good opportunity for a second application 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what duplicolor metal cast (the anodizing paint stuff) does to old faden indicators. This was the orange can, I also have a yellow can that I was going to do some fog lights with years ago but never got to it. Anyways, I just washed them, 1 coat inside and coat the outside till it looks right. Designed to go on shiny surfaces they reckon. Cheaper than nite shades, so I might get a red can to do brake lights

IMG_20211021_160208_edit_1315065662967042.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...