Matt / rxford's junk.

RXFORD

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RXFORD

Top Posters In This Topic

Been motivated to get my 1990 B2000 'finished' lately so have been putting some hours in. It may not be considered very oldschool but the uf model starts in '85 so might just slip in...

I brough it back in Jan 2018 as a 'quick tidy up/get off pink sticker and flip' project, but me being me, I got far too carried away. 

It was already certed for Recaros, Drop Spindles & 20" rims and was a good buy for $1000 but needed some love.

I had a slightly narrowed axle and rebuild & detailed stock 2.0L motor spare from another project that were spare so I used them in this. Replaced all bushes/balljoints/tie-rod ends etc and painted chassis. Prepped & undersealed the cab, replaced the rad support panel with the facelift model then got some stock neptune blue mixed up and repainted the engine bay.

20201108_134316.jpg

• Like 2

Spent a fair bit of time on this motor for when it was in my other b2000. Filed all the casting marks off the steel bracketry, shaved all the ugly bits from the intake manifold, welded up the unused vacuum ports then had it polished, and made a low profile air filter top and base from an old Volvo hubcap. Then gave everything a nice coat of paint. Should be a pretty clean bay once I'm done.

20201006_192540.jpg

• Like 7

It came on steelies, and I did end up buying a set of 20" polished centrelines for it, I just didn't like the fitment, so decided to run these 18" Caddilc Escalade rims instead. I had Brugar Engineering bore the centres out slightly to suit the b2000 hub and threw some times on. Nothing too fancy but different than your average static minitruck with 18" Pajero's or 15x8 trailer wheels.

received_648553412517205.jpeg

received_660078238032272.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Fast forward to now...

A couple weeks ago I ordered some precut universal c-notch side plates off Airride Nz and rolled up the top/bottom capping to suit. 

On Sat 7th Aug I decided to bring it inside for the week as I had some space til another job showed up later in the week. Spent Sat/Sun getting it setup, rear end stripped and the rails prepped.

Spent a few hours after work each night getting the notch plates in, the capping on and it all welded up. 

Had a few interuptions so didn't get it done by Thursday night like I had planned, and had already picked up job that was booked, so panicked a little, but @cletus bailed me out and gave me storage for the night. 

Hit it hard on Friday 13th and got the rails finished and the gas tank mount back in. Also managed to redrill the front spring hangers 2" higher then threw the springs back in and pushed it back outside. 

20210809_171730.jpg

• Like 8

Got creative and lifted the tray of its dolly by myself today and had planned to cut the bed floor pockets to suit the notch. 

Bit of a fail as I realised I was down to my last cutting disc. Will have to wait til next week til I can get more. 

Ended up just marking it out, and got onto some other stuff. 

20210820_152407.jpg

• Like 7

A mate hooked me up with just enough cutting discs on Sat arvo to get the notch pockets cut out and the filler bits made.

Shops a bit chocka currently and its a pain to push things out each day, so I made the most of the weather and got stuck in these past few days.

Got all bits fabbed and welded in Sunday afternoon, then yesterday I dressed all the welds up and started prepping the inner bed to get it sealed up.

20210821_175840.jpg

20210822_175827.jpg

• Like 3

Not the nicest looking pockets I have made, and I feel kinda lazy by not radiusing the inner top corner, bit I really didn't want to spend another half day plus on them. 

The reason I didn't make them the same shape as notch is to hopefully allow for some form of shock mount to come off notch, which I havn't figured out yet.

20210823_132703.jpg

20210823_132734.jpg

• Like 8

Finished the prep today and thought fuck it, I may as well just carry on and get it lined. Spent a lifetime prepsoling it then shot some epoxy and put a little seam sealer down. Then after another coat of epoxy I smashed down the hippo liner. 

20210824_152416.jpg

20210824_172421.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to find all the facelift swap front end bits for the b2000. A buddy in Upper Hutt hooked me up a bonnet, grill and bumper, and a local mate managed to collect and bring up while we were in Lev4. 

Did a quick test fit of bonnet then as soon as Lev3 happened it was off with the bumper to the paintshop. 

20210914_151623.jpg

20210930_160326.jpg

• Like 5

Brought new headlights and corner lights off Kent Dist which got sent when Chch went back to Lev3. Was a bit of a mission but tracked down some headlight adjuster/mounts and the correct bonnet latch/support.

Got the grill/lights mounted up on wedenesday just been, and the painter had my bonnet/bumper ready to collect yesterday. Got the bonnet fitted last night and adjusted the latch/cable. 

Also collected the leaf springs from Archers yesterday. They reset them 2" flatter so threw them back in last night aswell. Need to mod the fuel tank x-member as diffs hard on it now, but at least with springs back I can work out shock heights. 

20211002_173337.jpg

20211002_173350.jpg

• Like 9