Tortrons it's old school now wingroad

tortron

Every now and then I go on trademe and search for a good car

I do this by limiting the distance to a couple hours from me

Live rego

Price lowest to highest. 

One day it will work, but for now I have a 1998 Nissan Wingroad JS jdm import with engaged driving style 5 speed manual and fuel sipping GA15de engine. That's right fuel injection wow. 

image_31192.thumb.jpg.2f7bbe69f10cbf21e39b716322ad6837.jpgimage_31200.thumb.jpg.b1d6de4f266dea8ee1693ace045df843.jpgimage_31197.thumb.jpg.e03eb2e969206d5748b741a9890bf6d5.jpgimage_31193.thumb.jpg.0e78da2b8697a6266c0a8e9e0d1b30c5.jpgimage_31198.thumb.jpg.3e9c9687c231c1d8789680c8b489d548.jpg

Absolutely grot, but it ran, had a couple weeks wof and rego and actually made it from coro Town to Auckland faster and more comfortably than the ractus

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whining noise on the way out of town was just a low power steering level, so topped that up and put $20 gas in and drove home. Got back no worries other than the suspect smell inside, radio even works, aircon does not

Closer inspection leads me to believe that this was Jim's mowing car, the trunk space being covered in dog hair, mulch, and grass. And then a few litres of oil all through the carpets 

So I pulled all the interior out, waterblasted the carpets, and upholstery vacd everything else

zXJsWEa_edit_310265537099004.thumb.jpg.3bfa5d55d99876c796b8af7db7f394bd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With the interior now mostly out I could address a few issues

1. The clutch felt a bit harsh. 

The pedal had simply snapped off at the firewall, so I got another from a y10 sentra at pickapart

They all crack at the front door frames, every one I have looked at has this

zBf5k0z.thumb.jpg.daf4f1dc459ef8faff9e12b05aa8f73a.jpg

Im not overly concerned, the metal here is surprisingly thin, so i think it was marginal from new and 23 years of use, the last 5 being on gravel roads took its toll. Crawled all over and under the car and dont see any further fatigue, so i just welded it up

and then stitch welded the lower door frame because race car i guess

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Basically I have been to the wreckers every week as the get new ones in quite often

They are all stuffed

But I ended up getting all the interior trim I needed, new carpets (sentra have different boot carpets to the wingroad) wheels, drivers seat (hole in it and broken and welded cos coast car), mudflaps, tow bar, bumper steels, a guard and so on. So many parts

IMG_20210520_133413.jpg

• Like 7

There's some rust, but whatevs 

IMG_20210717_170613.thumb.jpg.563c8b7c65268c8cc29c5ed91bb16741.jpg

They all rust out here in the tailgate latch. I have made a new panel to go in here

Also some in the edge of both front doors, I think some has already been done in the front floors, oh and all the rear hatches rust out at the hinges, mine doesn't look too bad, but needs a tickle 

• Like 3

Front idk if it's factory but none of the welds fill the holes, it's been hit front and rear but I don't think major, just needed some not ball pein panelbeating to sort it (drivers guard has been hammered in and bogged something fierce, passengers had a little rust and I picked up a replacement for that) 

Anyways I cleaned out the old seam sealer, phosphoric acid'd the seams and zinc primerd the front

IMG_20210717_170702.jpg

IMG_20210717_170647.jpg

• Like 5

While I was doing that I found why the aircon doesn't work. A replacement radiator has gone in, with a lip around the edge, and it's cut the aircon hard-line almost right through. I can get it fixed I guess but it's probably not worth it for this, so I raided that sentra I mentioned for its alternator bracket, and have done a factory like aircon delete. Frees up a lot of space and weight I guess

• Like 2

At another wreckers there was a primera next to a Y10 AD van, so I tried the spot lights in the cut outs and they fit pretty good

Wingroad bumper is shaped a little different so not quite as good on mine, but I think I will either put some mesh around it to meld it in, or just use the mounts for some round ones or something 

IMG_20210717_170521.jpg

• Like 3

Decided it needed a hood scoop, so I got a cheap subaru copy after all the wreckers ones get taken almost immediately 

IMG_20210717_170714.thumb.jpg.104036dd6fcbdb11070433e612af3314.jpg

These have a yuck combined throttle body map sensor that faces upwards right under the scoop, so I might make a subaru gravel sport type air intake right there, I got a cheap k&n panel filter that would work

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is what $150 ish gets you in old xplod gear

It's not entirely period correct, but that's fine. Because I'm retarded I spent extra to not only get a 10cd stacker, but then extra to get a head unit with a proper input for said CD stacker, tho I think I could have hacked a lesser head-unit to run one easy enough. But this one has front and rear L/R outputs too

1000w amp

1300w sub

IMG_20210802_120452.thumb.jpg.1a737a80ab4f6575d05a89dc8191328d.jpg

I have no idea where any of this will fit without taking up folding flat boot space, I may have to make some rear quarter pods, put the stacker in the glove box, and the amp under a seat or something. 

Current sound system is some after market head unit, factory 6x9s in the D pillars and I'd guess factory 4-6" in the front door panels. 

Probably just upgrade the front speakers and bridge the rear to the sub. 

But still...... I want flashing lights and a fibreglass pod that takes up the whole back

• Like 8