SOLVED: K12 micra ABS light after brake change

gibbon

Not oldschool but hope someone can help anyway 

I replaced both the rear brakes on my wife's car yesterday (2005 march/micra). Now I've got the abs light on. The brakes still need a bleed but I'm not sure if that's the issue? (Never had a spongy brake put a light on but then again I'm not familiar with new cars)

I couldn't see how the sensor is triggered in this car, changing the brake drum meant changing the hub and so swapping wheel bearings into the new hub, there was no pickup ring or anything like that. I have since read that some wheel bearings contain abs components? I didn't pay any attention to the orientation of the bearings other than to note that they didn't seem to be marked or chamfered for installation 

Hoping a brake bleed fixes it but worried I need to go deeper. Do the wheel sensors need to be reset somehow? Unfortunately I didn't see if they came on immediately the first time the key was turned (failed during self check) or once the car began to move (working but not picking anything up) 

36 minutes ago, gibbon said:

swapping wheel bearings into the new hub, there was no pickup ring or anything like that. I have since read that some wheel bearings contain abs components? I didn't pay any attention to the orientation of the bearings

I’m not sure about this specific car, but many have metal pins in the seal of the bearing to trigger the abs sensor. You can’t really see the pins. Usually the bearing will have a metal seal on one side and a black rubber seal on the other. You want the black side pointed at the sensor. Does the abs sensor point to the bearing?

these cars seem to have problems with the ABS unit so most internet searches lead to people with actual module failures rather than some cockup after maintenance

one guy has EXACTLY the same problem as me (specifically after changing hubs) but then someone mentions an abs ring "like a cog" which I'm sure I don't have. the internet is full of wonderful stories... of course this one was from 2015 with no follow up

12 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

I’m not sure about this specific car, but many have metal pins in the seal of the bearing to trigger the abs sensor. You can’t really see the pins. Usually the bearing will have a metal seal on one side and a black rubber seal on the other. You want the black side pointed at the sensor. Does the abs sensor point to the bearing?

Yeah it points towards the center of the hub at least... the bearings are very wide for what they are so there might be something in them, I distinctly recall they have a standard red lip seal on the inboard side on removal - can't guarantee that they were like that on install actually. but they didnt look like anything special was there unless it was hidden under the seal. the old hubs are at work but not a big deal to go get them. The bearings being so wide have a large contact patch with the hub, it'll pain me to push them out again via the inner race, cant be good for them