oldrx7's 1985 Mazda Cosmo

kyteler

9 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

What have they failed the belts on?
When I complied the galaxie I had to go through seatbelt stuff which cletus ended up doing paperwork for to keep the lap belts 

Says

“Replace front seat belts to R2 (if modified, LVV to cover)

Replace rear outer seat belts to R2, R1 or S1, supply LVV

Fit centre rear seat belt, supply LVV.”

Im kinda hopeless at interpreting what Clint linked above, as I’m not sure where a 1985 import sits in the rules (I’m sure it’s in there, I’m just terrible with those type of documents).

Front I’m a little confused on, as they’re ‘normal’ 3 point belts like in most cars, rear seat currently only has the outer two seats with seat belts, and they’re just lap belts - no centre belt.  Which I did think was odd, but might have been an option out of Japan.  All the pics I’ve seen of other cosmos/luce's look like they have 3-point belts in the rear. 

This being a 4 door passenger car (and one Im gonna be taking the kids out in every now n then) I’ll make sure the back belts are decent.  

I’m going to have a look behind the trim on the C pillars to check if there’s seat belt mounts, as that might save a bit of cost on labour, but looks like the middle rear never had a belt so will have to get one installed/certed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your car probably has single sensitive belts in the front if that's the case, in most cases that's an easy bolt in swap to dual sensitive type

You could potentially get away without a cert if it has factory optional upper anchorages under the trim , and you don't put a middle belt in /register as a 4 seater  

@piazzanoob   car was a bit different as due to the year it could get away with no rear belts and lap belts only in the front, with an upper anchorage exemption 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cletus said:

Your car probably has single sensitive belts in the front if that's the case, in most cases that's an easy bolt in swap to dual sensitive type

You could potentially get away without a cert if it has factory optional upper anchorages under the trim , and you don't put a middle belt in /register as a 4 seater  

@piazzanoob   car was a bit different as due to the year it could get away with no rear belts and lap belts only in the front, with an upper anchorage exemption 

That’s the ticket bro thanks, appreciate the explanation!

Will register it as a 4 seater for sure then! Will pull out some of the rear trim and fingers crossed there’ll be some mounts 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate!  No didn’t need anything certed which was nice, 3 x new belts 2 for the back and drivers needed replacing, and used one of the old lap belts as a middle belt, so didnt need to register it as a 4 seater in the end.  Then just the brakes needed a basic overhaul and a few other smallish things like bulbs etc.

• Like 4

Cheers!  And yep that's on the cards, although the compliance bill stung a bit harder than I initially thought (seat belts are expensive!!!!) So will save slowly and keep browsing.  

FC adjustable suspensions bolts in so I'm told by other HB owners, so will probably save up the $$ and do that once and swap in and out for wof's.  Had thought of buying some new shocks and getting some springs made, but if I'm eventually going the adjustable route I may as well just make the one purchase.

Wheels is a tough choice, I've seen pics of them on 14's and they look friggin sweet, but also seen pics of them on 16/17's and they look good too.  Will hum and hah over it for the next few months while I save up I think.

2 hours ago, kyteler said:

Just keep away from the Titans and you’ll be OK.

What stud pattern are they? Not annoying to get stuff for 110 I hope.

Tony…. Take no notice.

you must slam it on Titans. I will even chip in to purchase said treasures 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4