oldrx7's 1985 Mazda Cosmo

kyteler

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@cletus - will likely take it to Cooper Tyres in Takanini - Had a friend take his impala through there and he said it was a relatively easy experience.  I went in and chatted to one of the guys the other day and he said they can do a pre-check - point out any obvious repairs that will need doing.

@fuel - cheers mate, ha rx7 sedan, yep its the 13b 6port motor, will keep that offer in mind!

Awesome - good to hear another viewpoint. 

I had chatted with V8pete and xsspeed on their compliance experiences, and was going to go with Penrose Compliance centre, but this place is real close to home so will be easier for drop offs and pick ups.  

Long long ago my dad bought a turbo 12a one off @filthy one Mrs. (Long before they were together) it had been bought off her by a scumbag with a bad cheque. He was arrested somewhere in town using bad cheques. Someone stole it from where hed parked it, and it turned up on the side of the road in Blenheim or Nelson with no wheels, and minor damage.  It was a silver coupe. The old boy did a beautiful job of fixing it up. It was completely stock. Apart from a windmill sized factory fan, it was dead silent, and smooth as fuck.  Also went well too. (I'd originally looked at it with a view to put the motor in my RX3. But an auto sparky said because it was a digidash car, the wiring could be a  nightmare) 

He sold it to a guy he worked with whom hed been giving a ride to work. (I think he had no license from being a recidivist drink driver)  he must have got it back, because he bought it. Then rear ended some poor cunt down moorhouse ave, (drunk) and put them in a wheel chair. Last dad heard the guy was fixing the car. (After he got out of jail) much like Brad, this well predated digital cameras. 

/I should have bought it tbh.

//ling.

• Like 3

I can say with (slight) confidence that it won't end up camo, with modgies, or titans sorry guys.  Unless of course the opportunity comes up to borrow/test fit some for a shits n giggles kodak moment. - quick de-sprang on Titans would be good for a laugh.

My budget is very tight on this, so will be getting it legal as the first thing to spend money / time on.

Then lowering + wheels

Then eventually manual swap, but that'll likely be years away, silly RX gearbags costing around $800-1000 will be the main reason for this.

Happy that I've got a car in the shed though.  Felt like a long time since selling the last car.

• Like 6

On 14/07/2021 at 08:11, oldrx7 said:

Awesome - good to hear another viewpoint. 

I had chatted with V8pete and xsspeed on their compliance experiences, and was going to go with Penrose Compliance centre, but this place is real close to home so will be easier for drop offs and pick ups.  

wish i had known about a place like coopers at the time

• Like 1

Yeh, I’m hoping it makes it a smooth(er) process, but we’ll see. 

Probably a silly question - but does anyone know if any of the markings on the cars windscreen need to be kept on the car?  I’m guessing not, and can clean them off, but would be kicking myself if they were required come compliance time.

DE4F4590-A7B9-4D03-BB71-4218A5BC76A1.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 10:28, oldrx7 said:

Has anyone had experience with belts and cert / compliance? 

I tried reading through the nzta guidance but got lost and couldn’t really find solid rules around 2 and 3 point belts.

What have they failed the belts on?
When I complied the galaxie I had to go through seatbelt stuff which cletus ended up doing paperwork for to keep the lap belts