Toyota A46DE auto gearbox - educate me

Flash

I'm in need of some more help from the Toyota experts :

So from what I have read on The Google the successor of the A44DL auto gearbox is the A46DE which apparently is blessed with some form of electronic control.

Can anyone confirm exactly what is electronically controlled in this box and whether there is any way to bypass or jury rig the electronic bits.

Any advice or further info would be greatly appreciated.

Ta in advance.

Did a bit more digging around this morning and it looks like the DE version is equipped with three solenoids that are controlled by the Power-train Control Module. Two of the solenoids control the shifting and the third controls the torque converter lockup. So by the sound of things there is no way for me to get the shifting to work without the electronics. Bugger !

I had a mate years ago who came up with a way of making a box of electronic tricks to operate one of those transmissions.  As far as I can remember you just need to apply the right power to the right solenoid in the right combination to get the gear you want 

That would be manual control though 

I ended up figuring how to wire up the ecu to do it , was a 1uz conversion into a nissan  

Yes so a few versions of the electronics on those, the early more primitive version on early stuff (z10,x60 etc) is ghetto and using this big stepped TPS that outputs different levels to the controller. Then a more modern controller in the X70 stuff. The controller is separate from the ECU so could be standalone and if you dig hard enough you will find explanations on how in works and wiring diagrams in a mix of workshop manuals (used to always be a celica manual online etc). Have messed around with these in a attempt to use them as the cressida boxes were everywhere and the manual shift ones with overdrive were more rare. But never got that far as CBF rigging up a TPS etc.

So basically run the A43L (or whatever the code is) if you can find it, the manual valve body with overdrive and lockup. Or if you want to step into the future (like 1991) then run a A340 which comes in many flavours and can be run by a aftermarket controller or even a mircosquirt etc now days.

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate the additional info. Yep, @spencer, first prize would be a top hung A44DL as that would bolt straight up to my 3Y engine. I'm up Bundy way and have got a wanted add up on Gumtree at the moment, but like you say the older boxes are pretty thin on the ground these days.

This A46DE that I found is out of a '96 Townace. Being top hung as well as being bolted up to a 4Ye engine, it would be a breeze to fit physically, but playing around with shift controllers and other modern lectrics is way beyond my skills base.

@cletus, your comments on being able to rig up some power to "manualise" the gear changes got me excited as I hadn't thought of that.

My Thames van project has stalled a bit at the moment as I'm really struggling to get the original column shift to precisely shift my Toyota G54 manual box and I really don't want to fit a floor shift.

I'm going to give some more thought as to how I could potentially get the shift solenoids to fire correctly through some form of electrical switching coupled to the column shifter. 

Thanks again for the input gents.

Chur.