Not rated for lifting

tomble

While shopping for something to link my hoist chain to my engine I noticed that pretty much everything in the shackling aisle at Mitre10 has "not rated for lifting" on it.  Even shackles or links that claim 3500kg+ load ratings.  In fact I couldn't find a single thing in the aisle that said it was rated for lifting.  Yet many/most of these products are obviously sold for lifting things.  What gives?  Are my 2x 350kg link shackles going to drop my engine?

Liability, they don't come with the $$$ cert to say they can lift over your head. 

Lifting an engine will be ok as long as you get some right sized ones. I have been using two from there for lifting my ju k for a while

• Like 1

Also consider what you are hanging the chain hoist on, this being potentially the weakest link. I have seen a 302 Cleveland and C4 trans hanging from the bottom chord of a roof truss made entirely from 100x50 pine. The creaking sounds it made did not fill me with confidence.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, igor said:

Also consider what you are hanging the chain hoist on, this being potentially the weakest link. I have seen a 302 Cleveland and C4 trans hanging from the bottom chord of a roof truss made entirely from 100x50 pine. The creaking sounds it made did not fill me with confidence.

:D My mate lent me his engine crane and leveller, just the leveller is missing any fixings for the ends of its 2chainz. The crane has been making the rounds so is proven fit for purpose (as you'd hope) and there are two clear mounting points on my engine so it really is just up to me to screw it up by picking up the wrong fasteners.

I ended up picking these up, the (pretty much clueless) mitre10 peeps steered me away from bow shackles.

image.png.e4129f6daeb6ab2c1fd353e145f22797.png

32 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I like to use old seatbelts for engine lifting. Fixed ones are better as they have bolt eyes at each end.

Haven't broken one yet.

This ^

Plain old D shackles are the best bet..  We use the size you have on your trailer safety chain, a single trailer d shackle will hold a couple of ton stone easy (disclaimer) 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, igor said:

I kicked a son out of the shed for doing this. Told him to get all of his shit out of there and to go find someone elses shed to fuck. This was years ago. He owns a big shed now and notice he doesn't use his trusses as a lifting beam. Go figure. 

I've seen 4 by 2 sized studs used to support another piece of 4 by 2 that had been tied to the truss before. The car was driven between the studs and the truss is supported by them and reinforced with that other 4 by 2. Worked ok. Not in my shed(s) though. I'm the sorta cunt that would not use a piece of my shed like a crane.

We use seat belts down at the yard. All the yards do - scrap and wreckers. The day someone loses a limb will be the day that practice stops in that particular yard. I wouldn't use the method in my shed. There is fuck all adjustment and no undoing. Expedient application only.

There is a massive difference when you look at a rated' chain and something sold from out of a hardware store. I've got a couple of chains I got from Steel and Tube. Good quality stuff fitted with a snatch/grab hook on one end. Can adjust for anything. They are used for everything.

I wouldn't trust those Carabena looking things in the pics above. You want over kill when you lift something. Failure or risk of is unacceptable. Drop something onto your pride and joy or even worse - your donk on to the concrete from a reasonable height and you'll understand why lifting is one place you don't take risks or skimp in.

Ask me. 

• Like 7

A lot of people use alternator belts for lifting engines. Somewhat amazing how strong they are.

But yeah, I would stay away from those quick links. They look like the sort of thing that would deform under load and become impossible to unscrew.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tomble said:

:D My mate lent me his engine crane and leveller, just the leveller is missing any fixings for the ends of its 2chainz. The crane has been making the rounds so is proven fit for purpose (as you'd hope) and there are two clear mounting points on my engine so it really is just up to me to screw it up by picking up the wrong fasteners.

I ended up picking these up, the (pretty much clueless) mitre10 peeps steered me away from bow shackles.

image.png.e4129f6daeb6ab2c1fd353e145f22797.png

Are you pulling the starion engine?

10 hours ago, tomble said:

We are!  Connecting the crane up is literally the last link in the chain of things to do.

Firstly that is a horrific pun and you should feel awful 

Secondly what's up with the engine? 

38 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Firstly that is a horrific pun and you should feel awful 

Secondly what's up with the engine? 

Thanks!

We're removing it for a range of reasons,

1. we want to media blast the body so gotta remove all the things - there's a chance we don't do this but...
  2. ...it's dirty as all hell down there and at the very least we want to deal with that.  the engine is also manky a.f.
  3. the coolant, air, etc pipes are in poor condition - stuff and crunchy with bits falling out of them - it needs a thorough see to, among other various hoses and electrical bits, easier to deal with all that with the engine out
  4. the engine itself is probably fine (we ran it, poorly, probs just a timing issue) but it seems to have the signs of an engine that could use some love. Cross-threaded spark plugs, suspect compression, oil seepage.  I'm not sure how far I want to go with it but I figure if I'm going OCD on the rest of the car and learning a bajillion other skills, I might as well see what I can do with the engine while its out (even if that just means sending it off to someone else to deal with)

We're going a bit hundy for newbies I suppose but I've never liked half-assing things and the motivation's managed to stick around :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I work with cables for supporting structures for a living (yes, laying a cable is a standard joke).

The rated shackles etc are really cheap. It would be less than $10 to buy a D shackle rated to lift an engine.

Shaws or Cookes are the 2 biggest companies in nz for this stuff.

In saying that, the dodgy Chinese chain on most engine cranes would probably be your weakest link. From my own experiences with Chinese made stuff, the ratings painted on the side are mostly fictitious. My engine crane folded and crumpled lifting a mates concrete bathtub. There's no way it exceeded the claimed capacity.

• Like 2