best antifreeze

SOHC

What’s a good antifreeze/ antiboil and rust inhibitor for very old cars? 

I have been using that radiator technology shit mixed at 75% as this stoped it pushing coolent out the overflow when the engine is turned off but it had crappy rust inhibitor, is for my ford witch holds 20L, it use to be a non pressure system but I have fitted a 4 or a 7 pound cap.  

53 minutes ago, kws said:

I've seen a few guys with older cars like that run the Penrite coolant. It's an inhibitor but not an anti-freeze, designed for old cooling systems. 

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/classic-car-coolant-concentrate

None of my cars are that old though so I have no direct experience. 

It’s not anti boil to witch is a problem, I live in some mountains where it dose freeze during the winter 

IM not sure why this is a big deal? coolants these days are pretty damn good for all applications. running 75% is silly, water is a far better conductor of heat. the 50-50 distilled water is fine.
Choose your brand . and be done with it

• Like 6

And as long as you keep the oxygen out, it shouldn't corrode for a right long time.

Probably also helps to run the engine somewhat regularly so nothing stagnates in one place. Most new coolants are rated for like 7 years these days.

Usually you would just do 30% coolant though?

• Like 1

I used to run genuine Toyota coolant in my Triumph seemed to work nice no sign of rust after 18 months on. (The red stuff)

I did get given 50 litres of the stuff for doing work experience as a teenager there and the triumph so i am a bit biased.

• Like 2

On 10/06/2021 at 19:39, ajg193 said:

And as long as you keep the oxygen out, it shouldn't corrode for a right long time.

radiator cap is basically open to the environment on these, its just a cap to keep water from sloshing out/mice from drowning

i just use that nulon long life green in my stuff Rudi. Morrie has had some in there for 5 years and its still bright green.

commer i just ran straight water with a little oil and seemed to be fine (cos i filled what i thought was a clean jerry can up with water. turns out i had 2 identical ones but one with 500ml of oil in it lol), but i was running it every day and then draining it when it wasnt getting used for more than a few weeks

Life hack,

If you're selling a car with a mega rusty cooling system, dump a couple of bottles of green food colouring into the cooling system. It goes bright green, and is way cheaper than proper anti freeze............

*I've never done it personally,

But a friend to whom I'd suggested it did. He said the buyer bought a "knows all about cars" older person with them. Who commented the coolant looked quite new. Lololololol.

/I'll see myself out.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

On 11/06/2021 at 21:59, SOHC said:

Lots of people have sed to me use branded shit like castrol and never use anything like SCA branded coolent or brake fluid as it’s shitty

when i worked at ripco the then-manager told me repco oils etc are pretty much made by penrite or whatever australian company to meet whatever standard repco specify. I've used repco brand coolant just cos it was cheap as hell with no issues. Would not use their oil though as decent name brand meets more standards stuff is only a few dollars extra. 

whatever you do use just flush the radiator out and get out as much of the old crud as you can. 

• Like 1